Which LB puppy food are you using?
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which LB puppy food are you using?

Dave_and_Christie Guest

DefaultWhich LB puppy food are you using?

And why?

I know this topic has been covered a lot on here in regards to "large breed puppy food" vs. "large breed adult food" and many other discussions along the same lines. But I couldn't really find anything on any particular "LB" puppy food specifcally that people are using and/or not using, and why or why not.

We are feeding Sadie "Iams Large Breed 'smart' Puppy food", mainly because that is what the breeder had the pups on, and so we just continued with it. I did do some research at first though, and found a good rule of thumb to be the ingredients, order of ingredients, and how many many actual meat products are inlcuded in the first 5-6 ingredients lsited. The Iams had "chicken" listed as the first ingredient which is good. Well, atleast better than "corn meal" as the first ingredient like some brands had as I remember now.

Anyways, my concern is wether or not the "Iams LB puppy" is the best food for sadie. She likes it, (loves it rather, lol) but then again she'd eat anything. She may like it, but I'm wondering if some of the other brands such as Eukanuba, Proplan, etc. may have better nutrients and what-not. I dunno.

Do you think that some "LB puppy foods" are far better than some of the others? Or are they all pretty much in the same ball park?

Thanks in advance for your comments and advice!

Dave

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Lab Tales is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Which LB puppy food are you using?

We use Eukanuba, but that's just because my boyfriend has always fed his dogs that brand and it was what our vet suggested.
    Laura &amp; John<br />Adama - 6 months old<br />

Dani is offline Senior Member

If she's not doing bad on it...don't put your pup on the food rollercoaster. Leave it until she needs to switch to adult...which is around 6 months old.

I have never fed large breed puppy food.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

chocolatecoverdlab is offline Senior Member

Natura Innova. We picked that due to the ingredients. We initially started Jaida on it, and her coat improved so drastically that we decided to ween Bali onto it as well (only the puppy formula).
    Cadey, mama to Jaida and Bali

Tasmans Mom is offline Senior Member

We feed Taz Eukenuba LB, the breeder had him on it and Taz is doing very good on it.
    The breeder said they tried many different foods over the last 25 years but found Eukenuba the best
    also for the adult dogs.
    I have also started giving him a teaspoon of flax seed oil every day for a shiny coat etc.

<br /><br />Taz 8 months old..!<br />----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Please come and visit my blog at mylabtaz.blogspot.com

flyingkitty is offline Senior Member

Hi,
    I just wanted to say that I've done some food research and I did already know a fair bit about some of the animal food companies out there due to having previously been a cat owner. Shadow is here on a visit this weekend prior to coming home permanently. He goes back to his Dam's house on Monday and will pick him up the following Monday permanently. This is because my fiance and I are getting married this week and we just can't have Shadow here with all the fuss and new people and what not. We will bring him back the week after once everyone has gone back to their own homes.

Shadow is on Royal Canin, Puppy 32 Maxi. Which is a very good premium large breed puppy food. Over the years I have spoken with vets and others about the changes there have been in the pet food industry. Iams used to be a top of the line food. It has now moved down to about a middle grade food line. Still good but not fantastic. This shift happened when Iams was bought by Proctor and Gamble.

Science Diet although a good food, I've had issues with when I had cats. Nutro is an excellent food generally although in Quebec it just doesn't seem popular so I might have gone with that if I could have found it easily locally but I can't.

Royal Canin is a good solid food maker for both dogs and cats. What I like is that they have specific formulations for different breeds. As with dogs and cats certain breeds need things that other breeds do not. It is readily available here and it is very well liked by many who wish to feed their dogs or cats a premium brand. Once Shadow has been given the OK by his vet to move to an adult food he'll go on the Royal Canin Labrador Formulation.

Those are the reasons I've gone with the food we have. Shadow is making the switch well and is very happy with his new food.
    Sincerely, <br />FlyingKitty aka Shadow&#039;s mom<br /><br /><br /><br /><br />

Seattlemom is offline Senior Member

Pro Plan LB puppy food -- it is what my breeder was using, and Toby is 9 months old and doing very well. I thought about switching to a higher-quality food, but the advice on this board was to stay with whatever the breeder was using if the puppy was still doing well on it.
    Erin &amp; Toby<br />

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

I started Brigetta on Science Diet Puppy mainly because vet gave me a bag to try and my older dog is on Science Diet Z/D, however her system did not react well to it so I switched her to Eukanuba Puppy LB and she has been doing great on it so far (fingers crossed!)

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence

imported_MilesMom is offline Senior Member

Miles is on Eukanuba but I am switching him over to Innova because I want him to eat all natural foods. No articial colors and what not
    <br /><br />Grand River Run Genaration &quot;Miles&quot;&nbsp; CGC RN, RL1, RL2, RA, CW-SR, C-OB1, RL1X, RL3, RE

baby_bosco is offline Senior Member

I feed Bosco Nutro natural choice LB puppy* - Lamb & Rice
    http://www.nutroproducts.com/
    <br />He is your friend, your partner,your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours,&quot;faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.&quot; -Unknown

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast