Tatum issues
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tatum issues

JacobAlthea&Tatum is offline Senior Member

DefaultTatum issues

Hi everyone~

I need some advice re: Tatum. For those of you who don't know/remember, DH and I adopted her from a rescue two weeks ago.

Thing are going well with the exception of eating. Dani (whose rescue I got Tatum from) suggested that I should not follow the "eat it or loose it" rule with Tatum at first. Jacob and Aly eat when I give them food, or I take it away, but since Tate has never had a time limit, we thought it best to give her a chance to acclimate first.

Here is the problem: She refuses to eat unless she is locked in her crate. She nibbles throughout the day, so the only way she gets a full meal is if she spends the entire day locked in her crate. I have tried leaving the door open, but 1. she will not eat and 2. she spends all day in there, and we are trying to keep her out so she can have interaction with the DH and I and J&A.

Right now she is lying in her crate with the door open, and her stomach is growling so loudly that I can hear it in the other room. But, she won't eat. I tried closing her in the crate for a hour this morning, and she did not touch her food.

She is completely NOT food motivated, so bribing her doesn't work.

To complicate matters, she is being treated for tapeworms, and is on quite a bit of benadryl, so I don't know if that is affecting her stomach.

Any advice?

Thank you.
    I'm Jenn. Keeper of two labs in my home and one forever in my heart.

Throw the ball, damn it!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

LarrytheLabs Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Tatum issues

Maybe she just doesn't like the food? ???

When we first rescued Larry, we thought he was just completely not food motivated. Turns out, he was just not motivated for Chicken and Rice!! When we switched him to the ProPlan Sensitive Skin & Stomach one (because of bad poops on Chicken and rice), he ate like it was his last meal on earth.

What are you feeding?
    Katherine<br />Charleston, SC<br />

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

Eeek, that's a tough one. I was going to say just lock her in there in the a.m. and p.m. until she eats, but then I realized that you said she's an all day eater :-\ Tucker isn't food motivated at all, either. He won't eat his food unless I sprinkle shredded mozzarella cheese on the food. Can you try that?

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

LarrytheLabs Mom is offline Senior Member

Oh! I also just remembered...

A friend of my family has bassett hounds, and one of them is an extremely picky eater. To entice her some, they sprinkle cheese on top (like jzgrlduff said), but they also give about a 1/4 of a can of Merrick canned dog food. It's really great, high-quality food made from human-grade ingredients. They have blueberries and big chicken chunks and all that good stuff in there.

Speaking of...I haven't eaten lunch. Mmm
    Katherine<br />Charleston, SC<br />

She is eating eagle pack lamb and rice.

She won't go for treats, either, although she will take cheese if I stick it under her nose.

My poor, sweet, stubborn Tate.

Throw the ball, damn it!

theoconbrio is offline Senior Member

With the tapeworm meds and the benadryl, it sounds like there are a lot of things going on.

Is she underweight? Would she be at risk if you started picking the food up? Have you talked to your vet about it? I've always heard that dogs eventually will eat when they get hungry enough, which is why the "picking the food up" approach works (unlike cats, who will starve themselves). But you definitely don't want to compromise her health.

Sorry, no answers, only questions. Poor girl.

luke from georgia is offline Senior Member

the stomach noises are most likely from the tapeworms inside her belly, not hunger.
    i had a foster that came to me with tapeworms, and the stomach noises were so loud, they woke me up in the middle of the night.
    the next morning is when i noticed the wiggling rice bits :-X
    he got meds for the tapeworms, and after a day or so, no more stomach noises.

is she drinking water okay?
    have you tried boiled chicken and rice?
    maybe her tummy is upset.

the benedryl may also be making her lathergic.

"Properly trained, a man can be dog's best friend." ~ Corey Ford

Hi Sujin (you took your name out of your siggy - I don't know if I spelt it correctly. Sorry!)

The vet gave Tatum a shot last Monday that was supposed to kill the tapeworms and her body was supposed to absorb them (yuck!). He said we wouldn't see anything in her poop.

No, she isn't drinking much water, but, again, as with the food, I don't know if this is because she refuses to eat and drink unless she is locked in her crate, and I refuse to leave her in there all day. She needs to spend time with us, rather than hiding out.

I tried offering her some of the food she came here with (Innova) and she didn't want it. I tried wetting her current food, and she took two bites from my hand and then refused the rest.

I offered her a treat (Paul Newman Organic Dog Treats in cheese), and she happily ate two.

I bumped her vet appointment up to tomorrow.

Throw the ball, damn it!

luke from georgia is offline Senior Member

this sounds like a picky eater, but then again, maybe she isn't feeling well, so only the high value treats get her interested.
    i'd be more concerned about the not drinking thing.

i used to give hunter pedialite. he had dehydration problems towards the end, and he seemed to like the taste of it. i just bought the plain kind.

i hope the vet can shed some light on this.

if she is not sick, then i would not encourage eating/drinking in isolation. she needs the socialization and when she gets hunger/thirsty, she will eat/drink wherever and whenever it is made available to her.

"Properly trained, a man can be dog's best friend." ~ Corey Ford

Dani is offline Senior Member

Jenn, I guess when we chatted on IM, I didn't realize that she was still nibbling all day. That I would not be an advocate for. There should be a limit to her time...but for the life of me I can't figure it out with her. Where is the dog whisperer when you need them?

She seems to have been affected the most by that place...and for the life of me, I don't know why. All of the others are like WHOOO HOOOO! Freedom and new stuff...and she's like...oh boy...what is going on. Let's give Ceasar a call eh?
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast