what do you make of this?

Thread: what do you make of this?

pantherlax is offline Junior Member

Defaultwhat do you make of this?

I have a 14 week old chocolate named Beezer. He got his second set of shots two weeks ago so I gradually started increasing the distance from the condo. Our complex is in a circle with walking paths around the outside of it. We have on previous days made it all the way around no problem at all. Recently however when we get to a point where if we go any farther he won't be able to see home, he stops and refuses to go any farther. When I pick him up and bring him out of sight of the house he walks again like a champ. All the way until maybe fifteen feet from the door he charges it. I thought maybe there was something on that side of the circle he didn't like so I tried the other way and had the same result. I thought maybe it was anxiety about leaving the condo behind, but why would he walk so well after it was out of sight and beyond that, and not seem too concerned about getting back to it until we get right up to the door pretty much. Any ideas? cause the picking him up won't last much longer...

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

brianttu is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: what do you make of this?

Anytime Allie is uncomfortable with doing something or going somewhere we coach her along with food. For instance, last night we received a soft crate in the mail which we ordered. When we set it up, it looked like her hard plastic crate but the color was different and the window door configurations were different. She approached it with a TON of hestitation, but when a handful of food we worked around it. At first I left the doors open and let her sniff all around to get that out of her system. Then I started giving place commands inside of it with all doors open. If she wouldnt go in, I threw food in. After 2 times of this, she entered with no question. So then I did reps of this, out in out in out in, etc Within 20 minutes I had your sitting, laying down, and even zipping it up without her getting upset.

Another example: When we lived in a Condo with Allie she was deathly afraid of the AC units since the walk ways were sooo small and the units were noisy... She would walk right up to the point that she could see it and freeze up...I would have to drag her or pick her up... So one day we went by and the unit was off, so hung out for like 5 minutes hoping it would come on. We armed ourselves with food and sure enough it came on. She panics! So we walked her to the point she would freeze and put a piece of food infront of her about 2 steps out. She became focused on the food and realized that the AC unit was nothing to be scared of. Within 20 minutes she was happy walking by the AC unit focused on the smells and me instead of the noise...

Whatever it is your puppy is freezing up about, use food to work past it. It could be a noise, a smell, a sight anything. You dont want to crutch your puppy, you want your puppy to have enough confidence to get past that wall that they are seeing. Try not to pick up your puppy but find ways to coach him/her. If your a Sci-FI fan, its like the matrix, Neo could only be shown the door, it was up to him to walk thru it...Same with dogs, show them its easy and make the realize it by doing it themselves...

Good Luck, sorry for the cheesy Matrix bit, couldnt help myself... ;D ;D ;D
    Thanks,<br /><br />Brian<br /><br /><br />CGC, TDI Certified

pantherlax is offline Junior Member

lol no problem. I just started this morning using food to get through it. Worked okay at best, guess I just have to keep working with him! thanks for the suggestion!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

I could make a pterodactyl or a paper hat or....