Puppy class question

Thread: Puppy class question

Casseau is offline Member

DefaultPuppy class question

I don't have a puppy, far from it but it's definitely in the works. I was looking at puppy classes as I intend in getting in some of those courses. This is the link to the place, which a lot of people have recommended.

http://www.k9hq.ca/education.html

As you can see it has three different courses: K9 pre school(before 5 months, or after the 2nd shot), K9 elementary and K9 grad (older than 5 months).

Do you guys think that all three are essential? What would you suggest or recommend?

Also how exactly does crate training work? Do you actually leave them in the crate as long as you are gone from the home? Almost sounds odd to leave a puppy locked in a crate everytime you leave although I have heard of it in the past

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Puppy class question

I have looked at the webpage and the classes looks good to me.

Do you guys think that all three are essential? What would you suggest or recommend?
    Yes, puppy classes are essential in my opinion especially for a first time dog owner. Apart from the socialization aspect (puppy classes are EXCELLENT for socialization perposes) the classes are more for you than the dog. Classes teach you how to train and handle your dog. There are no downsides to puppy classes...sign up ASAP!

Also how exactly does crate training work? Do you actually leave them in the crate as long as you are gone from the home? Almost sounds odd to leave a puppy locked in a crate everytime you leave although I have heard of it in the past
    Crate training is designed to assist with potty training and to stop the pup destroying the house. Leaving a young puppy loose in the house is a liability and not something I would ever recommend. You can train a dog without a crate but I assure you it is much easier with one and it is certainly not cruel. Dogs are den animals. Their crate is their own private space. Dogs that are raised in crates learn to love them. More than anything it gives you a piece of mind knowing that your dog is safe and restrained when you leave. As long as you exercise the pup before you leave, all the pup will do is sleep anyway.

dreamer is offline Senior Member

We had LIndy to her first puppy kindergarten class on Tuesday and the best part of the class was watching her interact with all the other dogs. She had a blast sniffing, chasing, wrestling etc... We don't know anyone else with a puppy for her to play with so this is going to be wonderful.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Kathryn Guest

When we first took Dakota to puppy classes we were only going to do the first set of classes. After seeing there way NO WAY they could get a lot of what a dog "SHOULD KNOW" into one class we took a second one. I enjoy the second one more than the first.
    I think its important to get as much training for your dog as you can.

gerst001 is offline Senior Member

My pup (15 weeks) is in his 4th week of Puppy Class. It is a ton of fun and pure chaos. i am doing it more the the socialization aspect then the training aspect. I can train on my own, but acting like another puppy...I find that tough to do.

Worth it!