BARK BARK BARK

Thread: BARK BARK BARK

DefaultBARK BARK BARK

I am at my wits end with Napoleon,I take him out to play if I am not up going ALL the time he barks nonstop. He even barks at the neighbours across the fence,he thinks EVERYONE should be with him playing.He is 8 months old the end this month,I know he is spoiled rotten with me 24/7 but I cant take this nonstop barking unless he is being entertained.I have heard of bark collars but really do not want to do that. Any ideas?????I even today brought him in put him in his cage went back out,thinking hmmm maybe this will teach him.Well he carried on on the cage barking ,I only left him 5 minutes the tried him again outside,samething unless he has all the attention,bark ,bark ,bark. Any help would be so much appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

baby_bosco is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: BARK BARK BARK

Bosco is almost 8 months old too...and yes he has a barking problem too...LOL
    I bought a Citronella Dog Collar (spray collar, non-shock)...it seems to work for Bosco...let's just say he's not barking that much anymore. But everyone has a different opinion on this matter. Other JL members will have some advice.
    For more information, see this webiste: http://www.gifts-for-dog-lovers.com/...ogcollars.html
    <br />He is your friend, your partner,your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours,&quot;faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.&quot; -Unknown

Lab Tales is offline Senior Member

We put Adama in the bathroom if she barks continuously. After 1 or 2 30 second stays in the bathroom, she will usually keep quiet.
    Laura &amp; John<br />Adama - 6 months old<br />

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

fburke is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lab Tales
    We put Adama in the bathroom if she barks continuously. After 1 or 2 30 second stays in the bathroom, she will usually keep quiet.
    that's funny i spend half my night trying to keep Willow OUT of the bathroom...lol

LarrytheLabs Mom is offline Senior Member

Just out of curiosity, why are you against a bark collar? Personally, if I was at my wit's end, I'd do what I could to make the dog (and my temper! ) more enjoyable to be around.

I was just curious, I didn't know if you'd had a bad experience or whatnot.

Also, baby_bosco has a point about the citronella collar. For some dogs, they really do work great. It's certainly worth a try. I know at one of my local pet stores, they'll let you rent one for a week or two to see if it works for your dog.
    Katherine<br />Charleston, SC<br />

brianttu is offline Senior Member

Are you positive that your not re-enforcing the barking by paying more attention to the dog when barking? I'm going to guess that this over time has become a problem instead since the day you got the puppy...Praise your dog when not barking, ignore when barking... Consider a dog colar either spray or ecollar... The BIGGEST thing is determining if your part of the problem. DONT use the crate as a place for displine else you will teach your dog to hate the crate, and barking will definately be a problem in there if you make it a bad place...

Now that this is a true problem, its not going to correct overnight even with a collar. A collar could curb this within a week, but other tactics will work too. If you dont want to spend the money on a collar, attention when not barking, ignoring when barking should curb this issue over a month or so...

I'm serious, you gotta give a TON of praise when playing and not barking, it has to look more appealing to the dog than the attention it gets when barking wildly...
    Thanks,<br /><br />Brian<br /><br /><br />CGC, TDI Certified

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

TRAIN Napoleon not to bark. Give him a command -- NO BARK or QUIET -- and then enforce it (tap on his chin upward/spray his mouth with a lemon juice/water mixture) and then PRAISE-PRAISE-PRAISE the success (using the same words to reinforce the concept: "Good no bark! What a good dog. Nice and quiet. Nice no bark, Napoleon!"). Your frustration isn't teaching a solution to this problem.

JacobAlthea&Tatum is offline Senior Member

We have a mixture of vinegar and water that we spray into Jacob's mouth when he barks. He rarely barks anymore once we say "no bark."
    I'm Jenn. Keeper of two labs in my home and one forever in my heart.

Throw the ball, damn it!

booboo Guest

I agree with the don't pay any attention to them when they bark. Boomer would bark when he was younger and I ignored him and he stop barking. Now it did take a little while but be consistant about it. Also we would say no bark and that worked too. Now Boomer at the age of 15 months doesn't bark. If he is on the opposite side of the gate from us he will bark a few times like saying hey let me in. Not the constant barking he did when he was younger. If I don't want him in with me I ignore him and he will just sit there and watch me and then I will praise him alot. Keep working at it and you will see a difference. One thing I have a hard time with is a dog that is non stop barking so I really worked hard with Boomer when he was younger so I wouldn't have a problem barker on my hands when he got older and it paid off. Now his barks consist of warning bark when he sees something strange or a hey I want in bark, which you want from your dog, just not the constant bark. Good luck and hope all the great advice in here helps you