Flipping Bowl??
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flipping Bowl??

jeepnut24 is offline Member

DefaultFlipping Bowl??

Well Im happy to say, Maya is doing very well with house trainning and she is really starting to get the crate trainning and sleeping at night down. She has even started laying in the crate with the door open at random times. Thats all good. She is getting COME and SIT also. ;D

However, she has started to flip her bowl over. Not just when its empty either, but both empty and when there is food and water in it?? Im stumped on this one as most of the time there is water and food in the bowl? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Ive taken to removing the bowl when she isn't eating, but she still will flip the bowl or carry it around when eating??

Oh and she likes to bite ankles and pants legs... :-[

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BudGirl8 Guest

DefaultRe: Flipping Bowl??

My beagle used to nose her bowl until it tipped over and then eat the food off the ground, kind of like a kid who wanted to eat off the tray of the high chair instead of the plate. I think she liked to play with her food.

When Billie and her pal Bailey get together they get their big bowls of water, put their front paws in them, paddle all the water out that they can, fling them up in the air and then carry the bowls like trophies. The minute they get refilled, the same thing over again, no matter how thirsty or hot they are. We have to bring them in to get a drink because the outside bowls are instantly flung about.

Maya might just be playing with her food and water. Is there any way you can strap the bowls down? With the beagle I had to get one of those bowl holder things and tie it to something to keep her from dumping her food all the time.

jeepnut24 is offline Member

Yeah, I really think she is just playing with it as she will proceed to eat the food off of the ground following a flip or she will carry the bowl around the house. We'll have to look into something to keep the bowl strapped down I guess.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BudGirl8 Guest

The only other thing I can recommend would be putting the food down and taking it away if she starts to play with it.* There's a 10 minute rule that my dog was trained with, the food is down for 10 minutes and if she wants it, she eats it.* If not, after 10 minutes it gets put back away until the next meal time.* That way they know that food is meant to be eaten and not messed with I guess.*

**edit: I should clarify - I didn't train her with the 10 minute rule she came to me that way. It was a new way of doing things for me, I don't really like the idea of her not eating if she doesn't eat fast enough. But maybe taking the food away for a minute and putting it back down until she realizes to eat it would work for Maya....**

LarrytheLabs Mom is offline Senior Member

What about buying a heavy ceramic bowl? That's what we have for Larry's water, and he has no chance of being able to pick it up.

For his food bowl, we use this:

With the sides like that, he really can't pick that up either.
    Katherine<br />Charleston, SC<br />

CoCosMom is offline Senior Member

CoCo had one of those with the rubber base... but she chewed it off. She's a big fan of the bowl flip game... especially when there is water in it. So now we only give her a tiny bit of water at a time, and correct her when she does it... she seems to do it a lot less now anyhow!
    ~Jo & CoCo

Zakks_Mommy is offline Member

We have Zakks food and water bowl attached to his kennel - you can get them at Pet Smart. They attach to the sides of the kennel - the only way the dog can move them is to chew on them really hard. Zakk has turned his upside down twice.

Here is a link to them:

http://www.petsmart.com/global/produ...N=2025790&Ne=2
    Zakk&#039;s Mommy<br />Allyson<br />

Lab Tales is offline Senior Member

Sounds like Adama! I have to pick up her bowl after she eats so that she won't spill water all over the floor. We've got her trained now to bark once at her feeding place if she wants us to put down water (which is quite frequently, but we don't mind). She's also a huge ankle/pants biter - especially if you're walking down the stairs! ;D
    Laura &amp; John<br />Adama - 6 months old<br />

LarrytheLabs Mom is offline Senior Member

I really do strongly suggest the heavy ceramic water bowl. It's hard for ME to pick up with one hand, and Larry has absolutely no chance in heck of flipping it or carrying it around. It's a great solution.
    Katherine<br />Charleston, SC<br />

brianttu is offline Senior Member

Curbing the problem by changing bowls is one way to go, but I like the 10 minute rule. If your dog isnt eating all the food take it up. Also, anytime the dog attempts to play with the food instead of eating it, give a firm NO, or SETTLE. Im not a huge SETTLE person, but I would think SETTLE would work in this case. Do the same thing with the water, or get one of those water jugs that holds like 5 gallons, would love to see your dog move that...

Allie is really careful when eating. We do a place command before putting the food down, we might even make her wait 30 seconds before allowing her to have the food. Also, we may move the bowl, put our hand in the food, or remove a hand full of food anytime while she is eating. This helps with two things, food aggression, and eating it all before I take it from her. Obviously its never my goal to remove food from her bowl and not return it, I want to make sure she is never agressive towards other dogs or humans (my kids someday) in her food bowl.

Any left over food could also be picked up and used for training purposes if your dog is food driven... This will stop the food playing and give you 5-10 mins to work on a command of your choice...Just trying to provide ideas that dont cost money...

If your dog is digging in the food, but not digging in the water bowl. I would cut this off at the pass and pick up the water before he/she learns it can be fun to splash around...

Good Luck, hope ive helped!
    Thanks,<br /><br />Brian<br /><br /><br />CGC, TDI Certified

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast