Digging

Thread: Digging

mrsmcmullen is offline Junior Member

DefaultDigging

I am a marine wife and ofcourse we live on base. Any good ideas on how to keep them from digging? They start digging when a dog close by starts barking..

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Digging

Dogs dig because they are bored and unsupervised. Either supervise the dog or up the exercise. At least an hour a day is necessary for an adult dog.

brianttu is offline Senior Member

add the dogs poop to the holes....works like a charm!!! We add it to our flower beds and other areas where she has killed the grass and now the grass is back and the flower beds look great, except for the pesky grass that finds its way in there...
    Thanks,<br /><br />Brian<br /><br /><br />CGC, TDI Certified

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

mrsmcmullen is offline Junior Member

Okie great..

biscuit is offline Senior Member

Biscuit likes to dig, and I've also used poop to fill the holes that he'd dig in. That worked for him because he was not a fan of poop, but some dogs like it, so that doesn't work for them!!! Some people have sprinkled cayenne pepper on flower beds to keep them away. Others have laid chicken wire down under mulch/dirt if the digging habit is really ingrained. But, I think the most helpful thing I've done is to supervise him and not give him the opportunity to dig where he's not supposed to. When he does (which seems to be when he's really excited and "forgets", I say, "NO DIG!", and then I walk him to the spot in the lawn where he CAN dig. I bougt a bunch of sand and gave him his own digging spot, in the shade. It's a great release for him and he really loves it. Not a ton of space is needed and it's really easy to teach them to dig here, but not there (e.g., lawn, flower beds, etc.). If you do decide to give him his own digging spot, you may want to entice him by putting some of his bones and other toys in the sand and show him that if he digs a little bit, he'll find them. When he digs in the right spot, praise, praise, praise! You can re-bury the toys/bones periodically, too! With supervision and a little bit of re-direction, this is a really solvable problem
    <br />Kristin &amp; Biscuit

dakotas_mom is offline Senior Member

our trainer suggested a sand box where it is ok for her to dig... we haven't tried it yet but we sure need to - she's tearing up our lawn :-\

Emma the Lab is offline Senior Member

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

~Veronica and Nikki~
    Sweet Emma, 16th of February 1996~26th of November 2010
    Always in my heart and soul. Together forever, my love....

Nikki 6 months

http://theblacklabrador.blogspot.com/

JacksAndLabs is offline Senior Member

Personally, I don't want poop filled holes all over my yard so I just don't leave them outside unattended I agree that digging is a sign of boredom, find a more appropriate way to keep them occupied, i.e. exercise and/or obedience work.
    ~Nicole<br />Grand Ledge, MI<br /><br />

dakotas_mom is offline Senior Member

OH MY! Those are quite soem holes!! Dakot a dug a pretty deep hole in our yard and now a wasp nest has made it's home in it - despite our own efforts to get rid of it, pest control is coming on Monday to spray it... we think she may have gotten stung quite a few times sticking her head in there - we defiitely need a sandbox for her

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Sami is a digger. I tried filling her holes with poop. She didn't like it, so she dug new holes. :

Sami is perfect in the house but she can be fairly destructive when left unattended in our yard. The answer for us was to never give her the opportunity