Peeing In The Crate
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Peeing In The Crate

mrsmcmullen is offline Junior Member

DefaultPeeing In The Crate

I have a lab who is almost one year. She shares a big crate with my pug so i dont have to buy another crate. She knows where to go potty and she can hold it all day but when it comes to night time, she likes to go. My pug whines to let me know she went so i can come down and clean it up. As you can say, he has me trained. Well I tried separating them in two crate and that makes things worse..I tried rubbing her nose in it and saying no and that doesnt work.. Do you know of any ideas of how I can brake this? It is really ruining my towels by making them smell like dog pee..

Thanks Meg

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Peeing In The Crate

Has she always done this or has it just started? if she has just started peeing the crate my first thought would be a UTI, in which case she will need to see a vet.

I tried rubbing her nose in it and saying no and that doesn't work..
    Rubbing her nose in it will never work because she doesn't understand. She won't make the connection between peeing in the crate and you rubbing her nose in it hours later. A correction must happen immediately after the action. Negative punishment when potty training can actually makes the situation worse. Plenty of praise and consistant routine is most effective.

brianttu is offline Senior Member

Rubbing their nose in it is an antiquated practice which does more harm than good. Trickster is asking good questions... If you think its an attention thing, and not a UTI go back to the basics, smaller crate where your dog can only turn around. This will work much better than the nose idea because dogs hate to sleep where theres pee...
    Thanks,<br /><br />Brian<br /><br /><br />CGC, TDI Certified

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

She has done this from day one.. And the funny things is I keep them outside to run and play there hearts out and my husband will let them in inside and she only does it at night. It driving me nuts cause my lil dog wakes me up at 1-5am and im not awake so i grab a towel and clean it quick so i can go back to sleep..

deneen is offline Senior Member

Crates only work if the dog is truly crated trained. She doesn't sound like she is. Sharing a crate is making it worse. She should only have enough room in the crate to stand up turn around and lay down. Do they need crated at night? How early do you take her water up and when does she get "last pee" at a year old she should have no trouble holding it all night. I think the problem is either the other dog in the crate or she just isn't crate trained.

I agree, one dog per crate, that way its their space and not over crowded. Smaller crate space to stop the night time peeing in the corner. Add boxes to help with this. BE CONSISTANT and you should have this solved in 2 weeks time...

So put boxes on the bottom of the crate??? Sorry I just got home from work and my brain is dead from filling presriptions..

And she has been crate trained since day one. We would have them sleep with us in bed but she is too big and hogs the bed... I would get her a pillow to lay on but she'll chew that.. and pee on that. My main reason for putting her in the crate is so she knows thats her place to go at night... She loves that crate though. She goes in it alot and just sits there and we always have to call her out.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

She has done this from day one.. And the funny things is I keep them outside to run and play there hearts out and my husband will let them in inside and she only does it at night. It driving me nuts cause my lil dog wakes me up at 1-5am and im not awake so i grab a towel and clean it quick so i can go back to sleep..
    If she is still peeing in the crate every night, she is not crate trained.

For starters, you should separate the two dogs. Dogs should always have separate crates. She needs her own space. You should box off her crate so she only has room to stand up, turn around and lay down. She will be less inclined to pee if she has to lie in her own mess. Second, you need to get her into a routine just as you would with a puppy. Her routine now sounds very inconsistent which will only delay potty training. If she is outside all day she probably forgets to pee/poop before she comes in at night. For now, forget free roam time out in the yard. Take her out for walks instead so when she potties you can praise the life out her --you can't do this if she is unsupervised in the yard.

She is a year old and very capable of holding it all night and for longer periods during the day. Take her out to potty at least four times a day; morning, lunch time, afternoon and evening before bed. If you want to let the two dogs play in the yard, make sure they are supervised. You should also take her water away after a certain time. Bring the dogs in several hours before bed to settle down. If she is still hyped up from running around she won't potty before bed. After she is settled try taking her out for a gentle stroll around your block to encourage her to pee. After the potty walk its straight in bed, no water and lights out. Get up early to let her our and reapeat the process every day until she is reliable.

I guarantee you with routine and praise you can get her reliable in the house within weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by brianttu
    I agree, one dog per crate, that way its their space and not over crowded.* Smaller crate space to stop the night time peeing in the corner.* Add boxes to help with this.* BE CONSISTANT and you should have this solved in 2 weeks time...
    Add boxes that are empty but NOT broken down. Add them to the back of the crate to reduce space...Adding them to the bottom of the crate will just make your dog uncomfortable and pee on boxes instead of plastic...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast