DROP!!

Thread: DROP!!

Haley144 is offline Member

DefaultDROP!!

I am having the hardest time getting Haley to learn "drop" if anyone has any suggestions that would be great.
    <br />Anybody who doesn&#039;t know what soap tastes like never washed a dog.** <br />-Franklin P. Jones<br />Kelly<br />Boyertown, Pa

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_Belles mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: DROP!!

Do you mean "Drop It!" as in give me whatever is in your mouth? Or "Drop" as in lay down on the ground?
    Karen and<br />UAG1 SHR UCDX GRCH Tracker Belle of Bedford RAE JH CDX TT WCX WC CGC (Belle)<br /><br />UCD SHR GRCH BIMBS BBI Belle&#39;s Kodiak Dreamweaver JH UD RAE TT WC CGC (Kodi)<br /><br />SHR UCH BBI Ponderosa&#39;s Big Blond Guy JH RE TT WC CGC (Hoss)

LJ Guest

If you mean drop as in releasing what she has in her mouth, I have had success with holding a small treat to the dog's nose while saying the word in a happy tone. When the dog releases the item in their mouth, give her the treat and praise her.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

brianttu is offline Senior Member

Shannon has worked with Allie on Drop it, and i've determined the dog thinks its a trade. She wont give up whats in her mouth unless she gets whats in your hand, its turning into a bit of a stand off. Thankfully this issue is only with rocks and sticks, toys are not an issue with drop it...

I've got to determine how to stop the stricks from coming into the house instead of trying to get them from her...
    Thanks,<br /><br />Brian<br /><br /><br />CGC, TDI Certified

I mean drop what's in her mouth. I have tried the treats to the nose and it has also turned into a stand off for me and if there is no treat she could care less. My goal is for her to be able to drop a ball or frisbee....or any other toy or item she should have.
    <br />Anybody who doesn&#039;t know what soap tastes like never washed a dog.** <br />-Franklin P. Jones<br />Kelly<br />Boyertown, Pa

BudGirl8 Guest

I have an incredibly willful little Lab sometimes, especially when it comes to this one. The only way we've gotten this to work is repeatedly asking once for her to "give" and then when she doesn't immediately give up what's in the mouth, I put gentle pressure on her mouth, with her lip on her teeth until she gives it up and I'm repeating "give" until she lets go. She has learned that when I say "give" that she better drop it and playing tug of war with the ball or anything else is not ok. This is especially a problem when retrieving the ball and frisbee but it is getting better with daily morning exercise/practice. LOTS of practice. There are times I've had to hold her mouth for 10 seconds or more, and it's a standoff but its the only way I get her to release what's in her mouth, nothing else works and a trainer gave me this method. She doesn't ever squeal or jerk her head away (it's never that hard of pressure, just enough to open her mouth).

As for dropping stuff at the door (like sticks and things) she's getting better at the "leave it" command and I think it's mostly because on walks I will let her sniff at something for about 10 seconds and then I say "leave it" and we go on, or she'll get something in her mouth (she has separate toys for outside and in and knows that the outside toys stay outside, etc.) and want to come in with it and I'll say "leave it" and she puts it down and I praise her for it. She seems to be getting it so far. Sticks are a fairly new phenomenon for her, and the few times she's gotten them in the house, I say "outside" and she takes them back outside, we do a "leave it" and that is working so far. "Leave it" is my favorite command....mostly because she actually does it!! :-)

Thanks for the tip I will putting the method of lip on teeth in to effect. Hopefully this will help her.
    Thanks again
    Kelly

Zakks_Mommy is offline Member

I wish that Zakk would learn "leave it" soon! My poor Rainbow flip flops that sit by the backdoor do not stand a chance. Everytime he gets near them he grabs it up and runs like the devil (sometimes tail tuckin') and he knows he's got something that he is not supposed to have because when you get close he RUNS!
    Zakk&#039;s Mommy<br />Allyson<br />

theoconbrio is offline Senior Member

You can do the "trade for a treat" method that LJ suggests without it turning into a big game, where you always have to trade for a treat. But it requires that you switch from using the food as a *lure* to using it as a *reward*. So:

1. Bribe: Dog has object, you stick food in their face, they drop object and get treat. Repeat 6-10 times.
    2. Add word to bribe: Dog has object, you stick food in their face and say "DROP," they drop object and get treat. Repeat 6-10 times.
    3. Reward: Dog has object, you have food behind your back, you say "DROP," if they drop you whip out the treat and give it to them. If they don't, you pry the thing out of their mouth, no treat.
    4. Put reward on a schedule: Say, "DROP," but only reward about 25% of the time. That's enough to keep them gambling (if I drop it, I'll probably get something good), but not so frequent that you won't get compliance if you find yourself without treats.

It's also important to have good treats. If the reward is less appealing than what they have in their mouths, there's no incentive for them.

BudGirl8 Guest

That's a really good point about the treat being better than what they have in their mouths...especially if they're not a particularly food motivated dog, or really stubborn. ;D