My baby is using the dog door!!!

Thread: My baby is using the dog door!!!

chocolatecoverdlab is offline Senior Member

DefaultMy baby is using the dog door!!!

So, we just got settled in back in Tucson lastnight, where we have a dog door. I introduced the door to Bali lastnight, and would give him a treat every time he would go in or out, but he was kind of weary of it at first. Then, later on, he would walk over to it and walk along the blinds to make noise, and I would help him find the door (it seemed like he was a bit unsure of where it is along the arcadia door) and help him out. He would do his thing and come back in for a treat. Well this morning he only needed help once, and while I was in the kitchen cooking breakfast I looked over and he pawed his way out the door, went potty and came back in. I was so proud! Now he has been doing this ALL morning so far, in addition to going out to explore. ;D
    Cadey, mama to Jaida and Bali

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

brianttu is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: My baby is using the dog door!!!

I love my doggy door. At first we had to do the same thing, use treats...Now Allie uses it as an escape tatic when we are chasing her, shes loves her doggy door...

Let me warn you on a few things before you leave it open all the time...

1) We have more bugs in the house with it open
    2) if the grass is wet, your dog will come in wet and walk all over your carpet, same with mud!
    3)You may find rocks, stick, and other outside things now finding their way into your house

We are working with Allie on rocks and sticks, but we cant get mad when she comes in with muddy feet, we trained her to swim and get dirty, we feel its a part of our responsibility to close it off if the yard is wet. Allie eats the bugs, so we dont have to worry about them much, they tend to die...
    Thanks,<br /><br />Brian<br /><br /><br />CGC, TDI Certified

bibber is offline Senior Member

That is great! I've wanted to get a doggy door, but SU is worried that burglars will come in through it. Sam and Bodie are pretty big, so we'd have to get a big one.

On a side note, I didn't know you were from Tucson! My best friend lives in Tucson, she works at a spa there called Miraval. I think she is called a naturalist, she got her degree in maybe something like wildlife biology, and she takes the spa guests on hikes and explains all the flora and fauna. She and I and six other girls (all friends since high school) are meeting up in Sedona next month for a girl's getaway! I can't wait!

Brenda, Sam & Bodie

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

chocolatecoverdlab is offline Senior Member

That is great! I've wanted to get a doggy door, but SU is worried that burglars will come in through it. Sam and Bodie are pretty big, so we'd have to get a big one.

On a side note, I didn't know you were from Tucson! My best friend lives in Tucson, she works at a spa there called Miraval. I think she is called a naturalist, she got her degree in maybe something like wildlife biology, and she takes the spa guests on hikes and explains all the flora and fauna. She and I and six other girls (all friends since high school) are meeting up in Sedona next month for a girl's getaway! I can't wait!
    You know, I often worry about that too, but feel somewhat better about the fact that ours has a cover that locks. So I put that on at night. I have heard of that spa, it i supposedly really great! That is so great that you are meeting in Sedona next month. Shane and I were married there, and it is one of my favorite places! Great hiking and spas and food...really everything. Hopefully the fire in Oak Creek Canyon will be out by then, because that has curbed a lot of tourism. Either way, have so much fun and be sure to share any cool photos!
    Cadey, mama to Jaida and Bali

Samsmom1 is offline Senior Member

The dog door is the greatest thing we've ever bought for our house.* And it is so exciting when they learn how to use it freely.* I wouldn't worry about burglurs getting in though.* Get one that has a solid door to slide in and lock at night or when you're out.* *And, even though labs are friendly, they'll make enough noise to keep an intruder away.

The one I have is from a company called PetSafe @ 1-800-732-2677.* About 2 years after we installed ours we needed a new solid door (we kept dropping and it got bent) and they sent us one for free.* I got the largest one and my newfoundland/huskie (115 lbs) gets through with no problem.* (However, she still expects me to open the door for her when she's tired, lol) ;D

brianttu is offline Senior Member

I recently had my house inspected to get an alarm installed. The installer said his concern was not the doggy door because you cant reach the locks, it was the window that he could easily bust out to unlock it, with the fence so people cant see him do it... I personally tried to crawl on the ground and get in to reach the locks...I had NO luck...so I wouldnt be as concerned... No matter what, if you have an alarm, they have to open a door if they plan to take anything...
    Thanks,<br /><br />Brian<br /><br /><br />CGC, TDI Certified