New puppy woes

Thread: New puppy woes

Maddie is offline Senior Member

DefaultNew puppy woes

We adopted a 14 wk old rescue puppy yesterday (seems like weeks ago!). What in the world did this poor pup go through I wonder? I think he's got some seperation anxiety going on - he whines whenever someone leaves the room - even if there are others still there. Put him in the crate and he barks like crazy - doesnt stop - its maddening and its only been 2 days.

I know it takes training and especially time to get him used to us and to new things. But how long does this go on for?

As a side note, we recently had another puppy which we got at 8 weeks old - I swear to you - he was crate trained in 24 hours (and came from the humane society so that was surprising) and house trained as well, and rarely barked. Sure we had some messes, but nothing like this guy. So I guess that is where my frustration is coming from - how easy it was to train the first one. (that was maddie - who we had to give back due to serious issues he had with the kids).

Patience --- is that what I need? ??? :-\

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: New puppy woes

Patience --- is that what I need?
    Yep, and lots of it.

Let me start by saying that it will take a few weeks for the pup to settle in and feel secure in his new surroundings so expect lots of barking and whining to come. He will adjust eventually. In the mean time, invest in some ear plugs and ignore him every time he barks. Every time you pay attention to his barking you are reinforcing a strong message..."I bark, I get attention". Careful, as attention barking can become a nasty problem if it continues into adulthood. Ignore nuisance barking and keep him occupied as much as possible. Play with him throughout the day to keep him stimulated and tire him out. Tired dogs sleep in the house.

As a side note, we recently had another puppy which we got at 8 weeks old - I swear to you - he was crate trained in 24 hours (and came from the humane society so that was surprising) and house trained as well, and rarely barked. Sure we had some messes, but nothing like this guy. So I guess that is where my frustration is coming from - how easy it was to train the first one. (that was maddie - who we had to give back due to serious issues he had with the kids).
    Don't compare your other dog with your new pup. They are all individuals.

LarrytheLab is offline Senior Member

Short walks (since your pup is young) and learning obedience will also tire your dog out. Learning things like sit, shake, or down all wear out his little brain.

Also (and someone else might know better than I), what about putting a Kong in his crate when you put him in for naps during the day? I know this is acceptable for older dogs, and I don't see why it would hurt with a young pup. That way the crate isn't a negative environment where he's just shut up alone. Eventually, most come to really enjoy their crates as their safe and secure place.

When we first got Larry (as a year old rescue), he was NOT happy about the crate, so when we'd put him up for a nap we gave him a kong with peanut butter, bananas, yogurt, whatever. For the first few weeks he ONLY got the Kong when he went in for a nap. Now it's to the point where he dances with excitement when he sees it and races for the crate.

Also, I'd make sure to keep an eye on your pup the first time or two with a Kong to make sure he doesn't chew chunks out of it. Hard to do, but it's been done.

Good luck!
    Doyle and Larry<br /><br />

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dani is offline Senior Member

that was maddie - who we had to give back due to serious issues he had with the kids
    I am interested about this. What issues could be that serious with a pup?

OTherwise, you will have to be patient, praising, taking out frequently, putting him on a schedule.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

brianttu is offline Senior Member

Your puppy is very insecure right now and is probably wondering who the alpha is etc. This may explain why your pup whines when people leave the room, he/she wants to see everyone. If this is a rescue dog, then crate training may take a little more time. Your pup is used to not having anyone around while caged and also probably remembers the craziness of a shelter and all the barking and upset dogs. Yoda would say, "Time this will take." Set a schedule, stick to it, give it 2 weeks and you should notice the puppies attitude and confidence change...
    Thanks,<br /><br />Brian<br /><br /><br />CGC, TDI Certified

I am happy to report the barking has all but stopped. He now goes in his crate willingly, may whine for a minute if he realizes we're going somewhere but no barking. He's learned "quiet". Even has been showing much improvement in "hurry up potty". This is very exciting!

brianttu is offline Senior Member

Thanks for the update, puppies are hard work, and when they become dogs life gets easier on you, but then you miss the cute puppy stage ;D
    Thanks,<br /><br />Brian<br /><br /><br />CGC, TDI Certified

Anyone else have a pup who refuses to go out - or come in - and lies down, spreads the front paws and wont budge?? Its funny to see, but also frustrating when you're in a hurry! Its bad enough he could take his sweet ole time listening to the birds, chasing flies, sitting down and watching ants instead of going potty, but to add the "im not going" thing can be annoying.

dont get me wrong, i love the little guy!

putertutor is offline Senior Member

LOL, I do nothing in a hurry anymore; we go out for potty break at least a half an hour before work. Some days she will go right away when I say "do your business", others she'll just sit and chew the grass.
    <br /><br />http://www.lexiethelab.com<br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br />http://lexiethelab.com/shopping-resources