House training. I'm losing my mind.

Thread: House training. I'm losing my mind.

Lee in Texas is offline Member

DefaultHouse training. I'm losing my mind.

My 13-week old black lab is starting to give subtle hints about needing to go outside, but only sometimes. Other times she'll go straight to a couple of spots where she peed in the floor before and pee again. I don't want to just keep her in one room, but I can't have her peeing all over the house. I don't yell at her. I reward and praise her when she goes to potty outside. I just don't know if I have the patience to raise a puppy.
    Lady at 12 weeks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Djc1249 is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: House training. I'm losing my mind.

Lee, it does take a lot of patience. One thing I'd recommend if you don't have it is Nature's Miracle. Most pet shops carry it. It's wonderful...it takes out the odor, so she won't smell it and 'go' there again. She's starting to give you subtle hints at times; I'd say she's starting to understand. It varies with puppies, some catch on quicker than others.

Give her a couple of rooms, if you can, so she doesn't have full run of the house. Keep taking her out frequently, after naps, playing, sleeping, etc.

Good luck
    <br />Did you say TREAT ?!?<br /><br />Tucker, 3 yrs. --- Tipper, 10 mos.<br />http://www.dogster.com/dogs/284460<br />http://www.dogster.com/dogs/715680

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

*breathe* Take a nice deeeeeep breath...

It will get better.. we PROMISE.

Djc had excellent advice...

do you do crate training? considered using bells on the door? (that really worked for Ender)

If you catch her in the act... make a loud noise to distract her (most pups will stop peeing if surprised) and then take her outside and let her finish... praising and saying "goooo pee peee... goood peee peee" (or whatever you want to say)

Take her out every 15-30 minutes... definitely after she wakes up or eats or drinks or has been playing and being active for a while. (I know that sounds like all the time.. and it is) If you give her a command WHILE she's going... she will quickly pick up on peeing on command... which is very usful those mornings you jsut want to take her out, let her pee, and go back to bed and sleep in.
    ~Lindsay

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Lee in Texas is offline Member

I bought some Nature's Miracle. I think the problem is me. I just got back from a year in Afghanistan and came home to a bunch of headaches. I have no patience. I feel like a major league a-hole for it but that's the situation.
    Lady at 12 weeks.

imported_Belles mom is offline Senior Member

Lindsay and Djc have good advice.

I tried to house train 3 pups at once, and yeowzers, I though I was going to go nuts! 13 weeks is still just a wee pup! Expect her to have accidents once in awhile, even when you think she "KNOWS" better. It will happen. I second the idea of "Nature's Miracle" it works well!
    Karen and<br />UAG1 SHR UCDX GRCH Tracker Belle of Bedford RAE JH CDX TT WCX WC CGC (Belle)<br /><br />UCD SHR GRCH BIMBS BBI Belle&#39;s Kodiak Dreamweaver JH UD RAE TT WC CGC (Kodi)<br /><br />SHR UCH BBI Ponderosa&#39;s Big Blond Guy JH RE TT WC CGC (Hoss)

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

Ahhh yes... I remember your intro now. ;D

You can and will make it through this... it's rough... you can't read their mind... sometimes the downs are more frequent than the ups... but soon the light will go on and you will be soooo proud.

We are here for you... let us know if you need suggestions... or you just want to vent (I need to do this sometimes)... the forum can be VERY therapeutic
    ~Lindsay

Djc1249 is offline Senior Member

First of all.....WELCOME BACK! Glad you're back from there.

I can understand feeling like you have no patience...if part of it's from being in Afghanistan; honestly I do.

Your puppy wouldn't understand that, of course. Your puppy needs patience, direction, and routine. Is there someone that can help you with the housebreaking, and other things your puppy needs to learn? Maybe if someone else could give you a hand, it would make things easier, on you and puppy both.

There's good advice at the top of this forum....'best advice'. If you have the time, there's lots to read there.

Keep posting, even venting if you need to....it doesn't always go smoothly with a new puppy; everyone here knows that.

Keep trying, is all I can really suggest.....see how it goes. Let us know your progress.

And good thoughts for you Lee; I hope adjustment isn't too hard for you.

<br />Did you say TREAT ?!?<br /><br />Tucker, 3 yrs. --- Tipper, 10 mos.<br />http://www.dogster.com/dogs/284460<br />http://www.dogster.com/dogs/715680