pinch collar-question at bottom

Thread: pinch collar-question at bottom

Kathryn Guest

Defaultpinch collar-question at bottom

*sigh*
    Its not what I wanted to do...* But something had to be done.* It seems to me that Dakota turned in to a teenager over night.*
    Yesterday morning I was outside with Kaden and took Dakota out with us.* *Out of no where here comes Bass and Ducky (a black and chocolate lab).* They kinda scared Dakota running up on her.* well I took them back home and Sara, their owner, could have cared one way or another...* Ever since that yesterday she gave me hell all day.*
    I wasn't sure if we should even go to puppy classes yesterday it was that bad.* We went knowing she needed the class.* We get there and our trainer turned around and asked me if I was the one being bad or if it was the dog.* Then one of Dakotas friends moms told me that Dakota didn't look like she wanted to be good today.* Well about 15 mins into the class Dakota was every where then where she needed to be.* So during break *cries** :'(we put on a pinch collar :'(* The trainer had me walk her around the lawn a little so it wasn't a shock to her when we started back into class..* the first 2 corrections scared her..* after that she was a PERFECT* !*

-question-
    We took one link out at class and we did fine.* This morning when
    we went to go on our walk it seems to be a little loose.* it slides around her neck.* The ring ends up on the botton instead of the top where the trainer told me it needed to be.* *I tried taking another link out and it seems to me like it MIGHT be a little to tight.* I still have correction room but I'm not sure how tight/loose it should really be..

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

luke from georgia is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: pinch collar-question at bottom

The ring ends up on the botton instead of the top where the trainer told me it needed to be.
    what does this mean?
    top of what?
    are you describing the position of the collar on the neck? or something else?

"Properly trained, a man can be dog's best friend." ~ Corey Ford

Kathryn Guest

yes, the position of the collar.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

luke from georgia is offline Senior Member

your concern is that the collar is resting too low on the neck?
    you want the collar to rest higher up on the neck? closer to the back of the ears?

for smooth/short haired dogs, collars tends to fall down to the thickest part of the neck. this is normal.

the area directly behind the ears are very sensitive, and i have read/heard about trainers advocating that the collars be positioned in this manner to get the dog to respond to corrections; however, you should consider that for some dogs (soft, sensitive ones) making the collar sit in this manner is too harsh, while harder dogs may need this type of correction.

if you want to have the collar sit high up on the neck and behind the ears, you will have to pull up on the leash and keep the leash short and slight foward or straight up on the dog; otherwise, the collar will slide down simply due gravity.

i'd be careful about making the collar too tight. you may end up conditioning your dog to tolerate the extra pressure all the time, so corrections become less effective. when the dog is wearing this training collar and there is no correction being made, the collar prongs should not be pressing into the neck.

"Properly trained, a man can be dog's best friend." ~ Corey Ford

Kathryn Guest

Luke from georgia thank you so much for your help!

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

Actually the proper position is for the ring to be on the right side of the neck right below the ear. Here is a link with pictures showing how to properly fit a prong. http://www.leerburg.com/fit-prong.htm

If the collar is just gradually working its way day, this is normal. I adjust the collar back up between exercises if necessary. If the collar drops down immediately or very quickly, it is too loose. As long as you can slip 2 fingers under the collar, it is not too tight.

Another tip since Labs have a lot of loose neck skin, when I put the collar on, I make sure to pull the loose skin down so it's below the collar (keeping it up) rather than on top of the collar (pushing it down).
    <br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

I'm with Lydia. It should be snug enough to stay put, basically, with you adjusting as needed. It should NOT be loose enough to fall down toward the dog's shoulders OR have the live ring spin down to the front of the throat.

Kathryn Guest

You all have been so much help. I think I need to take a link out and see how that works!

Thanks so much!

imported_Belles mom is offline Senior Member

Also, if you have a large linked prong, taking out one link does make a big difference in sizing. If you have a medium linked prong or a micro prong, you can take out one or more of the links and have a more fine tunable collar. How big are the links in your collar?
    Karen and<br />UAG1 SHR UCDX GRCH Tracker Belle of Bedford RAE JH CDX TT WCX WC CGC (Belle)<br /><br />UCD SHR GRCH BIMBS BBI Belle&#39;s Kodiak Dreamweaver JH UD RAE TT WC CGC (Kodi)<br /><br />SHR UCH BBI Ponderosa&#39;s Big Blond Guy JH RE TT WC CGC (Hoss)

Kathryn Guest

We are using a medium linked prong. I tried taking another link out, but then it seemed a little tight and not enough slack to make corrections. With keeping it the way it is it seems to be to loose, but is working.
    We will see how things go we have class on Thursday and I will have the trainer look at it again.

Thank you everyone for your help!