He sounds like he is going to die!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: He sounds like he is going to die!

chocolatecoverdlab is offline Senior Member

DefaultHe sounds like he is going to die!

When we crate Bali that is. He whines and screams and sounds like we are killing him. What is the best way to handle this? We ignored him, but that didn't do too much. Then we sprayed him with water and told him NO, but I don't really think that is doing too much either. I have tried giving him his kong with PB in it, and have been putting him in there while we are home, just so he is comfortable with his crate, and he still whines.

Suggestions...ANYONE?
    Cadey, mama to Jaida and Bali

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: He sounds like he is going to die!

Soft music? Favorite toy? Stick your fingers in the crate and talk to him softly?

How long are you trying to crate him? Did you do the whole throw a treat in... leave the door open, and let him explore in there thing... then build up to actually closing the door... for like a second... then a minute... etc. etc.?
    ~Lindsay

chocolatecoverdlab is offline Senior Member

Yep, we have tried that. Maybe we should step back a few and do it again. He seems really attached. This morning he woke up at 4:30 and I took him out, and he did his thing. We came back in and I managed to coax him to sleep in his crate, so I went back to sleep. Then at 6 am he woke up and started whining, so we took him out and he pooped and went pee, so we of course praised him and brought him back inside. At that point he would not tolerate the crate, and in a desperate attemp to get him to be quiet Shane snuggled with him on the bed (against my advice) and he fell asleep until 7:15. I don't know, I know it is still only the first 24 hours, but I would like to get hime into a routine as quickly as possible. :-\
    Cadey, mama to Jaida and Bali

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

Oh my... you know the first 72 hrs are the toughest right?

Ender cried and cried the first few nights/mornings. You know the drill... first time away from littermates... etc. Ticking clock maybe?
    ~Lindsay

BoatDog is offline Senior Member

Unfortunately it is normal - and unsettling - no advice right now - but it is normal - and will end someday soon.

Morgan now goes in his crate when he needs alone time - without being told. There is hope - keep working on it and make crate a fun place - treats, toy or kong. Also - if crate is near you - and he can see you - it seems to help!

Good luck - you'll (eventually) be fine!

CoCosMom is offline Senior Member

Ohhhhh Bali...

Honestly, the sleepless nights were the worst part for us having a puppy, and I have to say CoCo didn't even whine in her crate, but she would scratch and was very restless when she had to go potty - which had the same result of us getting little sleep.

Its hard... you hate for them to be sad or upset or even uncomfortable... But it WILL get better.... and sooner rather than later if you can be tough and not cave in.

GOOD LUCK!
    ~Jo & CoCo

Bailey24 is offline Senior Member

Bailey didn't cry much, but didn't like her crate much at first either.
    I agree with Ender's Mom that the first week or so are the toughest with a puppy, but it definitely gets better!
    Bailey, like Morgan, now goes in her crate willingly when she wants to rest or be away from us.
    Hang in there & good luck!
    <br /><br />~ Angie &amp; Bailey ~<br />My Dogster Page: http://www.dogster.com/dogs/509673

sawyersammy is offline Senior Member

Oh boy do I remember those nights! It seemed like Sawyer would cry for hours at a time.

Hang in there...it DOES get better! I promise!
    <br /><br />brooke - owned by The Boy

luke from georgia is offline Senior Member

when i used to foster puppies, i would crate train them by trying to make the crate the GREATEST PLACE EVER!
    they got their food in their, chewies, and i'd toss in treats, etc.

when the pup would get sleepy, i'd guide them into the crate.
    they'd wake up and realize that they slept in the crate, so in time, it became a habit to seek out the crate when they got sleepy.

at night time, i put their crate next to my bed, and let my hand dangle near. that usually helped them settle down at night, and with repeated successes, again, it becomes routine.

first time with crating, i do not close the door. i intice them to go into the crate and stay in the crate on their own accord, then later, i close the door for short periods with me right there, and then me not there, and then prolong the length of time in the crate with door closed, etc.

try not to reward crying, barking, whinning inside the crate.

good luck.

"Properly trained, a man can be dog's best friend." ~ Corey Ford

imported_zoezoe is offline Senior Member

Do you have it in your room? Put it there, next to your bed, if possible. And like Sunjin said; let you fingers dangle down there. You can put in a warm water bottle ... some even use a ticking clock. None of these worked for Zoe; but I did try them all. I tell you what did work for her; me singing to her ... shocked the daylights out of me; but singing her a lullaby worked. Be persistent ... Bali will get used to it in time ... it's just gonna cost you some sleepless nights for a while.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast