How Much for 8weeks?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Much for 8weeks?

Sparemom is offline Senior Member

DefaultHow Much for 8weeks?

I have an 8 week old lab. I feed her 2 times a day. 3/4cups of dry and about 2 tablespoons can. She seems like she's starving when I feed her and after, is this enough? I know labs are heavy eaters, I just want to make sure she's getting all she needs. Thanks
    <br />ZORA

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dani is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: How Much for 8weeks?

Ditch the canned food.

She should be eating 3 times a day about 3/4 a time. morning noon and night.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

Labs tend to allways act like they are starving... SOME labs self regulate... but it seems most could eat until they got sick.

What are you feeding?
    How much does she weigh?

Have you taken her to see a vet yet for a puppy checkup? They *should* be able to tell you if she's at a healthy weight and if you are feeding her enough.

Really you need to go by how she looks. Can you see her ribs? Does she have a waist?

If you post some pictures of her while she's standing up... one from the side and one from above... members of the forum can give their opinion on if she looks too skinny.
    ~Lindsay

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

brianttu is offline Senior Member

If you can see the ribs at all, your under feeding your pup. You should be able to feel the ribs when petting, but not see them. We fed Allie 2 cups morning 2 cups at night until 11 months old... Now that she is older we feed 1 cup morning, 2 cups at night, and she lost 5 pounds to be at her perfect weight...

I agree, ditch the canned food for now...
    Thanks,<br /><br />Brian<br /><br /><br />CGC, TDI Certified

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

Ditto what Dani said. We fed Frankie 1 cup in the a.m., 1 cup at noon, and 1 cup in the p.m. until he was about 4 months old. Then we switched to 1-1/2 cups a.m. and again at night.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Sparemom
    I have an 8 week old lab. I feed her 2 times a day. 3/4cups of dry and about 2 tablespoons can. She seems like she's starving when I feed her and after, is this enough? I know labs are heavy eaters, I just want to make sure she's getting all she needs. Thanks
    I wouldn't think that was enough. I brought Sami home at 8 1/2 weeks and she weighed 12+ lbs. She was fed 3/4 cup of dry food 3x a day. Feed 3x a day until 5 - 6 months of age, or as recommended by your breeder/vet.

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

Ditto what the others said on the canned..ditch it. Add 3/4 cup dry at noon to give 3 feedings a day. And don't forget to have your vet evaulate her!

baby_bosco is offline Senior Member

Bosco is 7 months old now, he still gets fed 3 times a day. Before he turned about 6 months old, he was getting 1 cup x 3 times a day. Now he gets 2 1/2 cups : morning = 1 cup, afternoon = 1/2 cup and supper time = 1 cup.

Sometimes for a treat, I will add 1 tablespoon of canned food and mix it with is dry food.
    <br />He is your friend, your partner,your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours,&quot;faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.&quot; -Unknown

Dave_and_Christie Guest

Keep in mind that every dog is different. Also, the serving charts on the back of most puppy food bags are very 'outhere'. Meaning, it can be a little confusing on how much to acutally feed your pup based on weight and age.
    We are feeding Sadie who is 11 weeks and about 21 lbs, 3/4 cup 3x day (morning, noon, night). Between 5/8 cup - 1 cup 3x day seems to be the "norm" and/or, "the safe zone" for feeding your Lab pup.

Sadie eats her 3/4 cup in about 60 seconds.... a little fast? :P That's an understatement. She acts like she is starving, but I assure you she is not. Don't sweat it.

P.S. Just making sure.... do you have her on "Large Breed" puppy food? If not, time to make the change.

Djc1249 is offline Senior Member

At 8 weeks, we fed ours 3/4 c. 3x a day also, but moistened it with warm water...those were the instructions from the breeder. Some people moisten it, some feed just dry. He practically inhaled his food. He kept on this schedule 'til about 5-6 mos., when we reduced it to 1 c. 2x a day.

Some stay on puppy food for about a year. At 8 mos., though, our vet said switch him to adult; he was gaining too much from the richer puppy food. At 1 1/2 yrs now, he eats 1 c. 2 x a day, with (frozen, thawed) green beans as a filler.
    <br />Did you say TREAT ?!?<br /><br />Tucker, 3 yrs. --- Tipper, 10 mos.<br />http://www.dogster.com/dogs/284460<br />http://www.dogster.com/dogs/715680

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast