Excitement Peeing @ 5 Months?

Thread: Excitement Peeing @ 5 Months?

CoCosMom is offline Senior Member

DefaultExcitement Peeing @ 5 Months?

CoCo has a little habit of peeing on the floor either when (a) visitors come into our house (and of course do the high pitched baby talk that gets dogs excited) or (b) she goes into someone else's house (who also do the high pitched baby talk).* She does NOT do this when DH or I arrive home, and I do believe she has NOT done this lately when going to the in-laws.* But she definitely has the last 2 visitors we've had at our house.

This is what I've discovered on this subject:
    Excitement urination, on the other hand, usually occurs when puppies have not yet developed proper bladder control. They may urinate every time they feel excited, most of the time without even noticing. When this happens, do not get upset or reprimand your puppy for urinating. If you do, then the problem can turn even worse because it will turn into submissive urination. To prevent this from happening, you should increase your puppy's exposure to the event that makes him urinate. Do this as many times as possible in order to make it so common that it no longer excites your dog. As your puppy grows older or simply loses interest in the event, the problem will be eliminated.
    From:* http://www.bestfriendspetcare.com/do...ytraining9.cfm

Here is a training solution I have come accross:
    When people come over to visit, most often they want to lean down and greet the puppy as mentioned above. The puppy will get excited and a little pee will escape. To prevent this, explain to your guests what you are trying to accomplish and have them do the following:

Have the guest enter calmly and quietly.

Hand him or her a bit of biscuit or treat without making a big deal of it (a little cookie jar by the front door works also).

Have the guest sit down in chair, couch etc... and wait for the puppy to relax and calm down.

Only when the puppy is calm and relaxed may your guests pay any attention to them and give them the treat. If the puppy starts getting wound up, back off until he or she is calm again.

This method will also help properly socialize and teach your puppy to not bark at the doorbell since they know they will only get a treat if they are quiet and calm.
    From: http://www.wikihow.com/Break-a-Puppy...g-when-Greeted

So my question is, has anyone had this problem and used these, or other, solutions? Any other advice?
    ~Jo & CoCo

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

luke from georgia is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Excitement Peeing @ 5 Months?

i don't have any experience in this particular problem, but the advise you found sounds good.

"Properly trained, a man can be dog's best friend." ~ Corey Ford

Bailey24 is offline Senior Member

Bailey is 3 months (today actually!!) and she seems to have this problem every now & then. Usually it's when she's just new gotten out of the crate & someone is at the house (& she's not had a potty break yet) so I try to get her outside right away to go to prevent it.
    Very good advice you found (thanks for posting it!), that's what I'm trying but she gets so excited right away.
    Good luck & I'll be trying to work through this issue as well with you.
    <br /><br />~ Angie &amp; Bailey ~<br />My Dogster Page: http://www.dogster.com/dogs/509673

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Sami had it. I would say that she outgrew it -- for the most part -- by 10 months. She still does it with 2 particular people. They are my friends and they go absolutely *nuts* over Sami, shouting her name, squealing, dancing around, flailing their arms (and yes, they are adults!) ... and sometimes (but not everytime) she'll get so excited that she'll let loose a tiny bit of urine. I've given up training my friends ;D so I just put up with it. She's outgrown doing it with anyone else.

FWIW, I have a friend whose GR outgrew this at about 18 months ~ so I guess it takes longer w/ some than others.

The advice you got was good -- just never, ever make an issue of it.

CoCosMom is offline Senior Member

Thanks for the input! Glad its not unusual for her age. We'll ask our friends to stay calm and ignore her until she's settled and see if that helps. She used to do it when we came home too, and she stopped that when we started ignoring her when we first walked in.

The other thing she's started lately is using her "Big Girl Bark" when someone comes to the door... its cute! And I don't mind it, because its protective and she stops as soon as the person is inside.
    ~Jo & CoCo

Lizzie-May is offline Senior Member

Lizzie (8 months) had it, we were advised to ignore it and she has grown out of it somewhat, occassionally when she is really excited she still does it... Lizzie loves to bark, any noise sets her off...

Dave_and_Christie Guest

Sadie did this for the first time the other day aswell. But alas, it did happen when I had just let her out of her crate when my sister was with me. Sadie had been in there for a few hours and did not yet get a chance to pee before freaking out over the sight of my sister. Excitement ensued, and of course, pee followed. :
    I agree with what you have found on the subject. It seems like some good advice to start with, which will hopefully fix the problem aswell. Good luck!