Traveling Tips
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Traveling Tips

brianttu is offline Senior Member

DefaultTraveling Tips

Shannon and I are driving from Dallas, TX to St. Paul Minnesota (Twin Cities) in two weeks. We are going to a remote location for a get away. No power, no cell phones, very remote. Does anyone have good travel tips to keep Allie sane while in her crate for 17 hours of pure driving. We were thinking three 30 minute breaks at some popular rest areas, plus our normal gas and bathroom breaks that are always scheduled... Allie doesn't usually chew on bones in her crate, but we are taking plenty. Also, would you feed normally on this trip, or cut back to make sure Allie doesnt get sick in the car? She's gone to Mississippi before (8 hours) and was fine, so car sickness isnt too big of a concern.
    Thanks,<br /><br />Brian<br /><br /><br />CGC, TDI Certified

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Traveling Tips

It sounds like you have a good working plan. Murray usually sleeps in the car until we get to our destination although we've never done 17 hr trips before. If Allie is a good rider, then I doubt you'll have any issues. If she is the go go go type then you might want to plan on finding a fenced park or tennis courts along the way so you can burn off some of that excess energy. She should sleep after a good romp.
    <br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE

JacobAlthea&Tatum is offline Senior Member

If she isn't used to bones, consuming more than usual may give her loose poop. Just a heads up.

Make sure you bring plenty of H2O for Ms. Allie. Air conditioning will dry her out, and you'll want to keep her hydrated. You may need to plan extra stops just to take really quick H2O breaks.

I'm Jenn. Keeper of two labs in my home and one forever in my heart.

Throw the ball, damn it!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

When Puff has gone on a long trip with me, I've given her a lot of exercise early in the morning before leaving. Then I stop every 3 hours or so and give her some retrieving as well as a potty break. That way she sleeps the whole way.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

ThatsMyGirl Guest

I'm glad you posted this. I'm making a 16 hour trip this weekend. Sami is a calm rider, so no concerns there and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that she has indeed gotten past car sickness. I've been taking her on lots of little car trips, but so far, the most we've traveled is 2 hours. Eeegads!

Anyway, I bought her a new Nylabone today, and a stuffed duck. We'll plan to stop every few hours -- since I'm the sole driver, I'll have to do that anyway.

Your get-away sounds wonderful. If you've done 8 hours w/ Allie I wouldn't be too concerned. I'm sure she'll be fine.

Tasmans Mom is offline Senior Member

LOL ;D

we will doing our first medium long trip this weekend as well, exploring South Island New Zealand.
    Fortunately we only have a 6 hour trip but through the mountains so I am hoping Tasman will be fine.
    <br /><br />Taz 8 months old..!<br />----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Please come and visit my blog at mylabtaz.blogspot.com

Thanks for the advice everyone! Everyone traveling sooner than us (in 2 weeks), let me know how it went!

Tasmans Mom is offline Senior Member

oh dear we just received a snow warning for the mountains, guess that's going to be Tasman's
    first snow as well! ;D
    <br /><br />Taz 8 months old..!<br />----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Please come and visit my blog at mylabtaz.blogspot.com

Well tomorrow is the big day. We have a 17 hour drive from Texas to Minnesota. I have Allie in doggy day care to tucker her out. She is staying overnight and getting a bath tomorrow morning before I pick her up. I hope shes warn out and smelling fresh... I had one concern, they are feeding her science diet dog food, Allie has never had that, I hope it doesnt create BM issues for us tomorrow. Do you think this could be a monkey wrench? Originally I wasnt planning to let her stay overnight, but they talked me into it, since its 45 mins away from my house...

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Whenever my Puff goes to the kennel, I always bag her food in separate bags for each meal. The kennel would feed her their food as part of the price but I don't want her to have a different food or amount.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast