Walking and "sniffing"?

Thread: Walking and "sniffing"?

hntnhskr is offline Junior Member

DefaultWalking and "sniffing"?

Hi...have a question regarding sniffing, etc. while on a leash and walking. I have a 11 wk old YLM, and the leash thing is going well, except for he is obviously inquisitive about smells along the way. He will stop and sniff, and would sniff for quite a while if I let him. I was wondering how long I should allow this before I give a good tug and make him continue on. Right now, I will let him sniff a couple of seconds, and then give a tug and say "let's go". I realize he is exploring, etc., but at some point, I wonder who is walking who??? Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Walking and "sniffing"?

He's checking the In box of his p-mail (pee & poop). It's up to you how much time to give but very often he'll want to make his own replies to threads stated by other dogs. Those smells can be really helpful to the owner -- they induce pottying.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

LOL... cute description Bob... "threads"

Let him sniff yes... of course if it is something bad (i.e. mushrooms)... you can use that as a perfect excuse to teach "leave it"
    ~Lindsay

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

He is 11 weeks old and the world is an exciting place. Expect LOTS more sniffing to come. For now, I would let him be a puppy and sniff as long as he wants. What's the rush? when he is older and in need of more vigorous exercise (faster walking) you can pick up the pace and give him the cue ("Lets go!") to move on.

brianttu is offline Senior Member

My trainer works with us on sniffing. She is helping us teach Allie not to sniff while on walks. She wants a heads up alert dog waiting on the next command with an occasional look up at us. After a walk we allow her plenty of time to sniff off leash, usually 20-30 mins in the park when alone or in our personal yard.
    Thanks,<br /><br />Brian<br /><br /><br />CGC, TDI Certified