Jumping!

Thread: Jumping!

Josus is offline Junior Member

DefaultJumping!

Hey everybody!

Scooby is really nice... he is 8 months old and really likes people! But the problem is he will jump up on them and not wverybody likes it. I was told that a good technique was to lift your knee when he does it and he should understand. I must say that it works sometimes. Would you all have other tricks. I would really like him to stop jumping... That would make my life easier (My mom doesn't want to take care of the kids because of the dog jumping..)

Thanks
    Joel

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bailey24 is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Jumping!

We learned in our dog obedience classes another option of "pinching" their paws when they jump up & say "off" or "down" or whatever you're using & then have them sit. I've tried it with Bailey a few times, not sure if it's working yet or not, she's only 13 weeks & gets excited over anything new of course!!
    I've also heard of having a few learning sessions with "new" people over at your house & have the "new" person have a treat & have your dog sit when they meet them to settle them down.
    Just a few things I've picked up from class & other posts.
    Still working on it with Bailey, so hang in there!!
    <br /><br />~ Angie &amp; Bailey ~<br />My Dogster Page: http://www.dogster.com/dogs/509673

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

The paw-pinching thing never worked for us (Wesley would nip in response - we were hurting him, so he thought it was fair game to hurt us back); neither did the make-the-dog-walk-backwards thing (he thought it was a really cool game).

What DID work was training OFF - Sometimes with the knee as a reinforcer (it's got to be firm but not harmful). We also withheld ALL petting/lovins etc until he was four on the floor! He got the message soon enough.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Djc1249 is offline Senior Member

We did it a little different. Ours jumped at times, and we have small kids and elderly people that come to the house, plus just everyone else, and a large dog jumping is no fun.

I put him on a leash when someone came to the door. When they came in, if he tried to jump, a correction...just a quick tug of the leash, and NO JUMP. He had to have all 4's back on the floor in a sit. I'd tell people to ignore him, also. My sister gets this high squeaky voice, and that would just get him more excited.

That eventually worked for us.
    <br />Did you say TREAT ?!?<br /><br />Tucker, 3 yrs. --- Tipper, 10 mos.<br />http://www.dogster.com/dogs/284460<br />http://www.dogster.com/dogs/715680

brianttu is offline Senior Member

We used a leash until the off command was firm. Let em drag a leash and use it if he/she jumps up... We also had understanding dog owners over randomly to help us work on this...
    Thanks,<br /><br />Brian<br /><br /><br />CGC, TDI Certified