Only 52 hours!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Only 52 hours!

chocolatecoverdlab is offline Senior Member

DefaultOnly 52 hours!

Yes, I am officially counting down in hours now. Bali is coming home SO soon, and although I have checked off my shopping list that many on the forum helped me construct (thanks again), I still feel very unprepared. One question that has been lingering is what the best way to introduce Bali to Jaida is once we get home on Wednesday. I have read advice in various books, but does anyone who has perhaps experienced this in one way or another have any pointers to make it as smooth as possible? Thanks, and of course as always any other advice is greatly appreciated.* ;D
    Cadey, mama to Jaida and Bali

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

luke from georgia is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Only 52 hours!

how old are bali and jaida?
    how does jaida normally react to meeting new dogs?

"Properly trained, a man can be dog's best friend." ~ Corey Ford

Jaida is 5 years old and Bali is 8 weeks. We rescued Jaida, and for awhile had some issues with other dogs, but after socilaizing her at parks and with play dates, she has improved. She varies...some she is excited to see, but after the initial greeting could care less about them and she ignores them (most cases), others she finds threatening and dislikes and growls at (I have been working on that bad habit too), and others, especially puppies, she loves and plays with intently (very few cases). This is why we opted to get a pup this time around. I just worry that, although she loves puppies (I think its her maternal instinct, as she had 2 litters), she will resent Bali because she has never had to share any attention from us. :-\

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

CoCosMom is offline Senior Member

I'm sure Jaida will love her new sister! She'll likley be curious as all heck at first. Do you have a place to keep them seperated so you can have one-on-one time with each, or just to get a moments rest for yourself?

You must be SOOOOOOOO excited! I remember the feeling waiting to go get CoCo!
    ~Jo & CoCo

CoCosMom, I sure hope Jaida falls in love with her new baby brother like we did! I will have a way to seperate them, and since I will not be able to take Bali running for a couple of years, I will still have that time alone with Jaida, which is typically followed by a nice fetching session. We are SO excited...counting down the hours!

don't worry about resentment or jealousy right now.
    cross that bridge if and when you need to.
    to provent such problems, just try and make each interaction positive for both dogs.

for introducting a puppy to an adult dog, i would either hold the puppy for jaida to sniff or put the puppy in a crate, and let them sniff each other through the bars, and if jaida seems okay, let bali out of the crate, so they can sniff and interact freely.

when luke first met a puppy (a foster), he got scared and reacted badly.*
    i'm pretty sure he had never encountered a puppy or any other small dog before.
    we adopted him when he was 3 ish so we don't know his full history.

luke growled and gave the puppy a sharp bark and turned away.
    it was a one time reaction that he got over very quickly.* in fact, we learned that luke like puppies very much.
    he is very gentle, friendly, and loving especially towards puppies.* he nuzzles them and protects and guides them.* it's really sweet to see him mothering them like that, so even if first impressions are not what you hope for, it doesn't mean that their relationship will be that way.* we didn't foster puppies too often, but when we did, luke was so happy.*

taylor on the other hand (she is not yet 2) bats at them, trying to get them to play with her.* she is way too rough and tumble for that kind of playing with a little pup, so i have to make her stop and leave the puppies alone.*

after the initial greeting and each dog gets comfortable with each other, most people have to work to give the adult dog a break from all the puppy antics, biting, and pawing and such.

here are some old pictures of luke back when we were fostering puppies.

this yellow puppy was the first puppy we ever fostered and first puppy that luke had ever met.
    luke scared the pee out of the puppy during the introduction, but they soon became fast friends.
    we were going to adopt him, too, but a really great family and their dog needed this little guy in their lives more than we did.

other foster puppies

Thanks so much for sharing your experiences and those wonderful photos with me! That is a great idea to hold Bali so that Jaida can sniff him before he comes in the house. Hopefully jealousy won't be an issue, but I will be sure to spend individual time with Jaida to try and avoid it.

i have not had any problems with my own dogs nor have i read these booklets, but i have heard these are good reads for multi-dog households.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/189...lance&n=283155

Thanks for the suggestion! I have bought some other puppy books, but never thought about the multidog household issues too much. I will look into that!

theoconbrio is offline Senior Member

Cadey, if she likes puppies, probably she'll like this one, too. You might find that she tolerates a lot from the puppy until the pup gets a little older and loses her "puppy license." Nevertheless, probably doesn't hurt to be hypervigilant when they're together.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast