Took our first walk today

Thread: Took our first walk today

dreamer is offline Senior Member

DefaultTook our first walk today

I was totally amazed. Lindy 95% of the time was right at my side, didn't even know she was there. When she would pull I just stopped and she circled around herself and off we went again. She was pooped when we got home. I didn't know how I should be reinforcing this good behavior. I was saying "good girl Lindy" and "good walking" and occasionally giving her a treat. Is there anything else I should be doing?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ThatsMyGirl Guest

DefaultRe: Took our first walk today

I would use the same term each time -- "walk ... good walk" or whatever you want to call it.

I would start incorporating waiting at every corner until you give her the okay to cross the street. Some people have their dogs sit at every corner. I don't ... but I do reinforce "wait". That gives me time to look out for traffic.

There are always a lot of good opportunities to do training when we walk -- we practice sit, down, stay, wait, heel, come, etc. I always found it best to practice these on the return trip, as your puppy will be tired, less distracted, and more willing to listen.

dreamer is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Took our first walk today

Should've known since I posted about how wonderful yesterday's walk went that today would be another story. LOL The minute we got outside she was pulling. I'd stop and wait until she stopped tugging then we would start again and she pulled again. It didn't take long to realize that today's walk was going to be a short one and we didn't get very far. I think from now on I will try to tire her out in the yard first and then try walking her again.