Don't bite my fingers

Thread: Don't bite my fingers

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultDon't bite my fingers

Labs are so food motivated, I noticed when I hand them something, they're very "grabby" putting my fingers in jeopardy.* I'm teaching them "watch my fingers".* I put food in my hand with fingers all around it and offer it to them saying "watch my fingers" and don't give it until they are very gentle and I don't feel teeth on my fingers at all.* Judy is very good at sweeping her tongue through my hand.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ThatsMyGirl Guest

DefaultRe: Don't bite my fingers

I have found this to be rather time-consuming to teach. I use the word "easy" and every time I say it, she is definitely gentle. The problem is if I don't remind her than it's the jaws of death comin' at ya. Think I might have to try your method. After all, she's gonna be a year old this month. It shouldn't take this long should it? :

dreamer is offline Senior Member

I had read in a book that you should put the treat on a spoon and give it to them because if they bite down they get metal and they don't like that so they learn to bit softer. Don't know if it works. Maybe someone here has tried it.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

PhoebeJeebies is offline Senior Member

I started palming treats into Phoebe's mouth and it's actually helped a lot to make her more gentle.
    Becca & Phoebe