electric fence help! Scooter figured it out...

Thread: electric fence help! Scooter figured it out...

Lab Friend is offline Senior Member

Defaultelectric fence help! Scooter figured it out...

OK Scooter, my beloved Labbie has a problem. I do not let him out alone, he has an elecrtic collar and is trained very well. But if someone were to have food - he'd be gone in a second. However this past weekend I was out gardening and went next door to talk to my neighbor, about 20 feet beyond the electric fence line. Scooter saw me and took a flying leap - over where the fence is,to see me and the dog disliking neighbor - he got zapped but didn't care! : My husband called him back and he took another flying leap back.....zapped again but he could care less. He has the stubborn dog collar - and it's on 5 out of 6 on the settings. Something tells me he's too smart for the system...any ideas??? I wonder if I can get my money back on my system??????

Patti
    Patti and the pack: Scooter and Belle<br />

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: electric fence help! Scooter figured it out...

Unless the electric fence is faulty I doubt you will get your money back. I could be wrong though so it is worth a try.

Is putting up a proper fence an option?

deneen is offline Senior Member

I've heard a a few people having trouble with labs. They've got all that skin around their necks plus they have a high tolerance for pain..not too mention they are so darn social. I'd call the fencing company and inquire on your options.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

theoconbrio is offline Senior Member

No advice (I don't have experience with the electric fence), but I do have a question. My biggest fear with the electric fence would be that the dog would be motivated enough to get out to tolerate the shock, but not to get back in. Does that ever happen?

imported_queenofthedogs is offline Senior Member

sell it on eBay--once they figure out they can go though, it is worse than useless because it give You a false sense of security.
    my daughter's mutt would visibly brace himself for the shock [they had a 12-volt square battery on the little twit!] when he saw the UPS guy--then leap throuigh--but of course, he wouldn't go through that to get back in.....

Lab Friend is offline Senior Member

Thanks everyone for the advice...I was just joking about getting my money back.\! ;D* He will run back through the barrier, doesn't seem to care.* I've been working him hard on obedience lately, his sit and stays have been perfect.* Not ready for "official competition",yet though.* *I think I have one of those labbies who has read the manual for the electric fence and is working on the novel "War and Peace" and a book on nuclear fusion - in short he's just too smart and stubborn!* A real fence is not an option unless we put in a pool...and that might bring a whole lot of other issues!* He loves the water!
    thanks again
    Patti
    Patti and the pack: Scooter and Belle<br />

Mooselady is offline Senior Member

Just wanted to share an other electric fence story told to my son by his vet. It seems a lab mix in his practice figured out that by standing just outside of the shock zone but in the tone zone would eventually wear down the batteries in the collar and then he could come and go as he pleased! Lab are just way too smart.....
    <br /><br /><br />&quot;Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our life whole.&quot;&nbsp; Roger Caras