She won't sleep???
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: She won't sleep???

jeepnut24 is offline Member

DefaultShe won't sleep???

Ok, Maya is getting the hang of potty training will let us know about 90% of time on number 2 and 60% of the time on number 1. That is going well. She is also getting the hang of walking on a leash. Not great, but pretty good. The big problem now is that she just does not sleep. We try to exercise her as much as possible. Ocasionally she will get sleepy and then boom she is up and hyper. Any suggestions would be welcome. We have been trying to crate train her, but that has been mixed.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: She won't sleep???

How old is Maya? what do you mean by the crate training has been "mixed"?

Personally, I would continue persevering with the crate training. Puppies need LOTS of rest, which is part of the reason you need to use a crate. Some laid back puppies will sleep regardless of whether they are crated or not. High energy puppies often won't sleep because there is too much going on around them and you need to MAKE them sleep which is where the crate comes in.

baby_bosco is offline Senior Member

This worked for Bosco...I walk him every night around 8:30pm to 9:30pm...he goes straight in his bed afterwards...it's a routine now. He sleeps till 6:30 am now...YAY!!!!
    <br />He is your friend, your partner,your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours,&quot;faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.&quot; -Unknown

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Maya is coming up on 12 weeks. She refuses to sleep for more than a few hours at most during the night. We put her in the crate consistantly and she resorts to crying and barking. Its not an option to let her bark because we can't wake the neighbors up. We walk her as much as possible and that usually gets her to sleep for about an hour so and then she is back up and ready to go. We can handle the mess and the exercise, but we are getting tired of her keeping us awake all night long. It is hard to MAKE her sleep as we can't afford for her to wake neighbors up with barking.

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

Can you explain to the neighbors that you are gonna need 2-3 "barking" nights to teach her that barking ISN'T going to get her out of the crate? Ender after a few nights would just GROAN... lol... which we couldn't help but giggle at.

Maybe give them (the neighbors) a little gift of wine and earplugs? ;D
    ~Lindsay

Well another sleepless night. Im guessing that we are doing something obviously wrong as she refuses to sleep for more than an hour or two at a time during the night. I guess the crate training isn't correct either. Needless to say we are about on our last nerve and don't know what to do with her. I understand that she is full of energy and we can handle the nipping and the potty trainning acidents but the lack of sleep at night is killing us. My last pup, a sheltie, did not have this issue. Luckily we move here in a few weeks and will be in a better situation for her to whine and bark until she learns to sleep. Shoot I could care less if she woke me up to go out as that is to be expected, but she just doesn't sleep at all at night.

Any suggestions on the crate trainning???

Anything would help as I have close to 12 solid hours of sleep over the last week and Im tired of staying up all night.

Mischa's Mom is offline Senior Member

Where is her crate? Have you tried in the same room as you sleep and close by so you can let her smell your hand without you getting out of bed? Is her crate big enough that the can sit and turn around in it? Maybe you can put something that smells of you in the crate with her (old shirt, blanket) This is really tough when you can let her cry it out while reassuring her.
    If you have air conditioning as well as your neighbours, maybe everybody can close their windows for a couple of nights and you can let her cry it out? Then throw a thank you BBQ or something.

Not much help, but a few ideas

The crate is right next to the bed. We have tried with and w/o the divider. Tried throwing in a shirt. Tried covering the crate. Tried putting my hand there, but she just bites it. I think we'll try some of that again and see what happens.

Any other advice??? Please... I haven't had any sleep in more than a week. We have been trying to exercise her in the evening, but that only results in 2-3 hours worth of sleep and then she is wide awake again.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

You may not like the sound of this but sometimes it is cruel to be kind.

Personally, I would re-locate the pup downstairs well away from your bedroom and invest in a pair of ear plugs. ALL pups will bark/whine for the first few days/weeks. The best way to stop a new puppy barking and whining at night is simply to ignore it. It may take weeks but eventually the pup will realise that barking will not get it any attention. It is human nature to go and see to a puppy in 'distress' but every time you pay attention to her you are reinforcing a VERY clear message --"If I bark, they will come see to me!".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast