Housebreaking

Thread: Housebreaking

Thunders Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultHousebreaking

I know this topic has been going on forever...but I just don't know what to do anymore.* I've been reading all the posts, but nothing seems to be working.

History - Simba is now 6 mos.; we got her when she was 4 mos.* She was spayed last week.* She has her 2nd bladder infection.* The people we got her from kept her in a crate for 14-16 hrs. a day!* Pretty much did not spend time with her in anyway shape or form.* So her being in her crate for that long all she knew was to pee and poop in there.*

Today - We tried crating and of course she pees and poops in there.* We tried letting her have run of the house (I felt bad for her from being crated previously), ummmm....not a good idea, but at least she's not getting full of "crap".* Tried blocking her in the kitchen, escape artist!* We lock her in our bedroom at nite with us and she does wake me up in the middle of the nite to go out.* So I know she can hold it if and when she wants too!* I go home at lunch to let her out and my husband will go home a couple of hours later and she has pooped and peed in the house!* The patio door is open all the time when we are home, so she goes in & out at free will.* I walk with her in the yard in the morning and at nite, tell her "Simba go potty", "Simba go poop".* Good xxxx when done.* I see her do both jobs and yet she still goes in the hosue.* I'm at a loss...

My husband is at his wits end and wants to get rid of her.* I really don't care about him, as I'm the one who runs the carpet cleaner every day!*

Is there hope for this dog to be housetrained, suggestions, anything...please!*

Thanks,
    Kim (Mom to Thunder & Simba)

PS - The husband will be let go before the dog!* *

It's not the destination, it's the journey!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Housebreaking

LOL at the PS....

OK First thing... can you borrow a different kind of crate from someone else and try that? What I mean is if say you have a wire one now... she may associate "wirecrate=toilet"... perhaps a plastic crate would be "new" enough to her that she wouldn't have the same association.

I would not be giving her free run of any part of the house unsupervised at this point and would be spending a lot of time with her outdoors... Praising her like she's just cured cancer ANY and EVERYTIME she has gone in the right spot.

Between the UTIs and her previous "learning to pee/poop" on herself I'm sure you have a bit of an uphill battle here... definitely not your normal potty training so I hope those will more experience and better ideas get on here to help you out.
    ~Lindsay

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

You may think about rechecking for a urinary tract infection (UTI). Mitzi and Judy both had that problem, and you can't housebreak until that clears up. Since she is also pooping in the house, you can try to adjust her feeding time so that she has a bowl movement the same time every day - a time when you are home to walk her and keep her on that schedule. I housebroke all my dogs by paper training and they were left home alone while I was at work. I used thick layers of newspaper on a hard floor, didn't scold them for going in the house, but praised them for going outside. It wasn't long before I came home to dry paper. To make it easier on your carpets, try to find an escape-proof way to keep her in the kitchen and leave her with a lot of chew toys. One of these days, the light will go on and Simba will know to go outside.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ceset Guest

Have you tried keeping her leashed to you at all times when you (or your husband) are home? It's a total pain (because they pull and get tangled on things, etc) but you can really keep an eye on what they are doing and correct for almost-accidents (no!) in the house and whisk them outside to go out there. We employed this tactic with Cody (our 4 month old pup) when we moved to a new apartment. After almost 3 weeks of no accidents we had a string of 3-4 in that many days - our first days in our new place. We put him on the leash attached to us and after about 1 week we were accident free again.

I'm not sure what to do when you're not home - that's much trickier. Perhaps Ender's mom's strategy about a different style of crate will work...Or perhaps a crate plus a dog-walker/friend that comes every 2 or so hours? The key to housetraining just seems to be avoiding accidents in the house and praising the heck out of peeing outside.

Good luck and thank you for providing a good home for this poor pup!

JacksAndLabs is offline Senior Member

Paper training is doing double duty...first you teach them to go on paper (in the house!!) and then you have to teach them don't go on the paper-go outside. Skip the first step and just go straight to outside

Eventhought she's 6 months, you have to treat he as thought she's 8 wks for a while. It sounds like you have it right at night (in your room, go outside if she fusses). During the day, while you're home, tether her to you. Make sure she goes outside immediately after eating, drinking, sleeping, playing and every 15-30 min while awake. How long are you away? Definitely crate her while you're gone. As recommended, a change of crate might be a good start. Make the crate small enough she can only stand, turn around and lay down...don't put anything obsorbant in there with her.
    ~Nicole<br />Grand Ledge, MI<br /><br />

Thunders Mom is offline Senior Member

Thanks all for the suggestions. We did get a different crate for her, but I'm scared to lock her in it for fear of the "mess". The new one is a plastic one vs. the wire one she had. But I'll try it and thankfully is comes apart fairly easy. I'll also try "leashing" her to me and not give free rein to outdoors unless she asks. And I am going to ask a neighbor to come over, even though this was one of my suggestions and my husband "poo-pooed" the idea.

It's not the destination, it's the journey!