How do I keep her quiet?

Thread: How do I keep her quiet?

Mischa's Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultHow do I keep her quiet?

OK, here's the problem. Mischa was spayed today.I pick her up at 11am tomorrow and have already been advised to keep her quiet and no running and jumping for 10-14 days.

You've got to be kidding right? This is a dog who plays fetch until she drops and jumps around at the sight of another dog because she is so glad to see them.

I need advice big time!!!!!!!!!

How do I keep her quiet? I refuse to kennel her for 10 days. I guess the walks will be very late at night or extremely early in the morning when there are no dogs around. How have other people dealt with this????

HELP please!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

threelabs is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: How do I keep her quiet?

Sure. I called the vet after the second day and asked for a sedative! The first day or so she'll be out of it. After that keep her in a crate when you are not at home. Leash walk only and keep her on a leash with you in the house. I had Casey's stitches out as soon as I could which was 10 days.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

My Murph just had to have 10 days of rest due to having surgery for a removal of an obstruction. He was surprisingly mellow for the first few days but as he went back to his normal self he drove me INSANE. Really the only thing you can do is leash walks. Hang in there!! 10 days will pass quicker than you think.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

brianttu is offline Senior Member

Allie was NOT a happy camper the day after the surgery. She was VERY calm/sleepy. BUT, the second and third day, she was full steam ready to play. We allowed her to roam the house and spend time out doors, but no walks, and no tug-o-war business. It was hard keeping her entertained and she didnt understand why we stopped playing with her, but she managed. We went thru a TON of bones that week. We also ended up cutting her recovery time from 10 days down to 7. At days 5 and 6 we did still noticed some puffiness, keep an eye on it, as long as she doesnt swell you should be fine with some basis exercise, but I wouldn't push it. I would keep the walks to 30 mins or less if your pup normally gets 1 hour plus...At a few points early on, we did have to crate her because she refused to stop running and playing. It was hard, but it was for her well being...

Good Luck.

Thanks,<br /><br />Brian<br /><br /><br />CGC, TDI Certified

Lab Tales is offline Senior Member

Adama is currently on day 7 of her after-spay rest time. She was groggy for the first day, but by the next morning she had regained all of her energy. It's been rough! We have been staying home with her for the majority of the day and going over her training and tricks, but she has still started to devour our house. We have been taking her for short (5-10) minute walks, but we make sure she stays away from other dogs (so she won't jump) and use the short leash (so she can't run). Good luck!
    Laura &amp; John<br />Adama - 6 months old<br />

Mischa's Mom is offline Senior Member

Thanks for the advice.
    We brought her home today. We had her in her crate for 2 hours and she was standing and stomping up and down to get out. We did let her out and she just went wild. I decided that a short walk was in order and she was pulling so hard she nearly yanked my arm off. Way too much energy. She is bringing me toys to toss and when I don't do it, she picks them up and tosses them herself and chases them. So the toys have been put away for now and she is left with the raw hides. THIS IS DAY 1. If she doesn't get the sedative, I will need it for sure. Oh well, only 9 days and counting ..........

imported_queenofthedogs is offline Senior Member

you can keep her on a leash in the house too. this is also an excellent time to teach new things, either with treats or a clicker--they can get tired form mental excercise too--and the boredom will make for an eager pupil. 5-10 minutes training sessions several times a day will allow you to teach a ton of useful & fun things while interacting & bonding.