Male or Female
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Male or Female

DebraV7419 is offline Senior Member

DefaultMale or Female

Hello - I am a new member and not even a dog owner yet!!* I'm so anxious to get our puppy and the litter isn't even due until July 3rd.* Anyway, I am doing all the reading I can ahead of time.* My big question is - should we get a male or a female?* This puppy will be a family pet and in fact will be my daughter's 7th birthday present.* I don't have to make a decision until the puppies are born.* Do any of you knowledgeable people have any suggestions on how to make this decision (we will not be breeding or showing).* Thanks! Debbie

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Djc1249 is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Male or Female

Hi Debbie,

Ummm...can you tell I'm probably partial to males, since I have one?

Others who have or have had both can tell ya better, but there are a couple of different opinions on this. 1) Males are more dependent; females more independent. 2) No difference between sexes; it depends on the dog.

My male is friendly, very quiet, calm, laid-back...and pretty much my shadow. He follows me most everywhere, inside and out. He may not be right at my feet, but he's always where he can see me. The thing I love best about him is that he IS friendly, quiet, calm, and laid-back. He's been that way from the start. I'd have to find out from the breeder if the females from his litter are the same way he is, since I don't have any experience with female labs.

You'll get some good opinions from others' experience on here. Good luck
    <br />Did you say TREAT ?!?<br /><br />Tucker, 3 yrs. --- Tipper, 10 mos.<br />http://www.dogster.com/dogs/284460<br />http://www.dogster.com/dogs/715680

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

Hi Debbie, I am also a new lab owner and have heard several people say that Males tend to be more dependent and devoted, and females more independent. I would go with it depend's on the dog. Sammi is female and totally want's to be around us all the time, maybe it's her age 17 wks. She also is very easy to train, just once to make us happy! I could not be happier with our choice. Good luck with your new little one. Sammi's mom- Diana

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

As I have 3 males and 1 female, I guess you could say I prefer males.

Let me start by saying that your can't really generalize male or female characteristics as like absolutely everything it depends on the individual. That said, I believe females tend to be slightly more independent. That has certainly been the case with any bitch I have owned. My males are very needy and loyal. On walks they rarely stray far from me and live for fuss and attention. My current girl, Maisy, is an "I'll do it but on my own terms" dog. She won't hesitate to push me and likes to do her own thing.

To be honest, both males and females make great pets but I am partial to males. At the end of the day it is a personal preference. I've heard people on the forum say that the best pet is a neutered male and I would have to agree.

ThatsMyGirl Guest

I have a female and got her specifically because I already have a velcro skin-child and really didn't want a velcro fur-child. There the truth is out! ;D

My Sami is 11 months old -- smart, obedient, very laid back. I couldn't ask for a better dog! She does like to be on the same floor as me -- but doesn't always feel like she needs to be in the room with me, or underneath me -- well, unless I'm in the kitchen

The females are generally smaller than the males -- mine is only 55 lbs. -- but that's rather on the small side.

I'm sure which ever one you get will end up being a great member of your family.

imported_agilitymom is offline Senior Member

I have two males and one female. I have found that although my female is more independant, this is just the trait I need to have her suceed in agility. She is affectionate but not as clingy as my males. At our agility trial this weekend, we were waiting in chairs for her turn, and she kept putting her feet on me to reach my face to kiss it. I told her she could not be on my lap unless she had a good run. Well one clean run later (perfect score) and she had climbed her entire 70+ pound body on my lap for a 30 minute snuggle. Thank heavens the chair held us both Either male or female you can't go wrong.

JacobAlthea&Tatum is offline Senior Member

I also find my female to be more independent and a little less velcro-like.

My opinion in your case, since you don't have your heart set either way, is to leave it up to your breeder. She/he can better take into account your family dynamic and the personalities of the puppies, and make a great match for you. ;D
    I'm Jenn. Keeper of two labs in my home and one forever in my heart.

Throw the ball, damn it!

brianttu is offline Senior Member

I have a female and she was the smallest of the litter. Shes very calm, pretty independent, but likes to keep an eye on us to make sure we haven't left. She has a routine check in where she spends her time playing outside, but comes thru the doggie door every 15 mins to make sure we are in the same places (watching TV). We picked our pup because she was the smallest and most calm of the litter.

Good Luck deciding, its hard!
    Thanks,<br /><br />Brian<br /><br /><br />CGC, TDI Certified

Dani is offline Senior Member

Let your breeder choose you. As for me, I prefer males.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Lab Tales is offline Senior Member

I like females. I think the personalities differ for every dog- maybe you could find a good breeder and visit the puppies and see which one seems to be the right one for you without choosing a sex before time.
    Laura &amp; John<br />Adama - 6 months old<br />

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast