Is it ever too late to house train?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it ever too late to house train?

My Lil Lab Kaycie is offline Senior Member

DefaultIs it ever too late to house train?

Hi everyone,
    What a great site, I'm so glad to know that i'm not the only clueless one around here, and thank heavens for all of you with the answers lol. So for a little background info, We (significant other and I) just rescued our 9 week old baby, Kaycie, from going to the pound. Today is day two and we're sort of in a rut. We're both away at college in different cities and currently unable to have pets inside either home, so for the next couple of months, she will be outside. We are anticipating having our own place in the fall. So my question is...will it be to late to house train Kaycie after being an outside dog(YACK! it breaks my heart )?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Is it ever too late to house train?

It's never too late. A crate will help you.

FWIW - How is this 9.5-wk old going to be safe and out of trouble from all sorts of outside things until the fall? Has she finished her shots yet? I'm glad you rescued, but have you thought this all the way through?

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

Oh what a shame that the timing was so off... you're being away at college.

Where is she outside? Like outside where YOU are living or at your parents or???

Labs are SOOOOO not outside dogs. One of the best attributes of the breed is that they love being with people... to put a dog, especially a VERY young puppy outside is just... well... not good let's say. I would be more worried about something happening to your puppy like getting into something, escaping, eating something, behavioral issues from being alone all that time, health issues... outside in the summer (not sure where you are... but won't the pup get hot?)

Please please please find someone who can give your pup a loving place in their house... parents? friends?...
    ~Lindsay

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

brianttu is offline Senior Member

Ender is providing sound concerns. Please think about these things...
    Thanks,<br /><br />Brian<br /><br /><br />CGC, TDI Certified

JacobAlthea&Tatum is offline Senior Member

I'm sure I'll be criticized for not answering the question, but here it goes:

You have a BABY dog! You are being cruel, leaving her outside all alone. Labs are not solitary creatures. She needs her pack. She needs an Alpha. She is still a baby.
    I'm Jenn. Keeper of two labs in my home and one forever in my heart.

Throw the ball, damn it!

chocolatecoverdlab is offline Senior Member

I agree with what everyone has said...it may have seemed like you are doing the pup a favor by rescuing it from the pound (which you are) but you are doing it a great diservice by keeping it outside. With all do respect, that puppy needs to either be placed with a friend or family member temporarily or with a rescue organization willing to foster it until a forever home is found where it will not be left outside.
    Cadey, mama to Jaida and Bali

Unfortunately we are both parent bound until next week when Brad goes on an Archeaology dig, then it will just be me at my parents. Right now Kaycie is with him at his parents. She is never left alone, someone is always at home, and her play pad includes all the amenities she needs including a fan. She has been outside since she was born, and nothing can get to her, she's safe and not in direct sunlight.

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

I guess I'm still not sure why she is outside? Your parents won't allow a dog inside?

I'll say it again... labs are VERY STRONGLY social people dogs... if you are inside, they want to be inside...

My mom's lab.. the way I describe him and many other labs... "He is just happy to be in the same room as you"

BTW... "left alone" for a lab, especially a puppy, includes being left outside alone even when someone is home (but inside).
    ~Lindsay

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

You're running a fan outside for a pup?

Okay - And when it rains?? When pup chews through the electrical cord?

Again, I ask: Have you thought this all the way through?

Yes i'm fully aware of the meaning of "alone" this is not my first lab, and I have to defend myself because i'm not CRUEL as was stated earlier. I previously had a lab whom was an inside dog all of the time, so i'm quite aware of the emotional and physical needs. And to answer your questions about why she is outside, my parents rent, and could get evicted if she stays inside their home. Some may disagree, but she is not going to be neglected or mistreated in any way. There are plenty of happy puppies and dogs that are outside, and get plenty love and care. And she is not outside 24/7 we are all in and out constantly, and she may come inside, whenever she likes, but not to stay.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast