Back of the truck...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Back of the truck...

baby_bosco is offline Senior Member

DefaultBack of the truck...

Just a question:

What are some ways to train your lab to stay in the back of the truck (the box)? My dad has a truck and when Bosco is with my parents, he has to go in the box now.He's never been in the back and I haven't trained him yet. I know he has to be tied-up, but do you think he would try to jump?
    <br />He is your friend, your partner,your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours,&quot;faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.&quot; -Unknown

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Kathryn Guest

DefaultRe: Back of the truck...

I would check with your town to see if it is legal first. I know that in some cities here it is illegal to let your dog ride in the back of the truck unless crated...

baby_bosco is offline Senior Member

I never even thaught of that??? I see dogs in the back of peoples trucks all the time. But is it legal, I have no idea???

Thanks LabMommyKathryn !
    <br />He is your friend, your partner,your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours,&quot;faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.&quot; -Unknown

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Kathryn Guest

You are very welcome.

curly is offline Senior Member

When I was training my first lab, I tied him in with two leashes so he had limited movement to each side. I did not want him to have the option of hanging over the side rails of the truck.

It's amazing that some owners will let their dogs hang over the side rails and ride on top of tool boxes. I have actually seen one guy (several times) that lets his dog stand on the toolbox and put his front paws on top of the trucks cab .

JacobAlthea&Tatum is offline Senior Member

It is extremely dangerious to permit your dog to ride in the back. Tethered, he or she could jump and either choke to death on their leash or get dragged to their death. Riding unsecured means a risk of the dog becoming airborne.

Another concern is that flying debris can become lodged in the dog's eyes, nose, or throat and cause serious damage.

If you must put your dog in the back of the pickup, my understanding is that the best plan is to secure a kennel in the back and have your dog ride in the kennel.
    I'm Jenn. Keeper of two labs in my home and one forever in my heart.

Throw the ball, damn it!

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Putting a dog in the back of a pick up truck is a crazy idea. What is wrong with keeping the dog on the inside of the car? you can either crate the dog or put up a dog-guard so he can't jump into the passenger seats.

Dani is offline Senior Member

If there is no option, then I would ask your parents to crate him in the back of the truck. Too many bad things can go wrong.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

Crate a dog in your truckbed, please! Please-please-please!! It is a disaster waiting to happen.

In the years I've worked with our obed instructor as her assistant, the ONLY time I have ever heard her 'yell' at at student is when one arrived with their GSD romping around unleashed and unrestrained in the truckbed of a pickup.

It is EXTREMELY dangerous!

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

It is extremely dangerious to permit your dog to ride in the back. Tethered, he or she could jump and either choke to death on their leash or get dragged to their death. Riding unsecured means a risk of the dog becoming airborne.

Another concern is that flying debris can become lodged in the dog's eyes, nose, or throat and cause serious damage.

If you must put your dog in the back of the pickup, my understanding is that the best plan is to secure a kennel in the back and have your dog ride in the kennel.
    Yes, I totally agree with Jenn's statement!! DO NOT let your father put the dog in the bed of the truck. A friend of ours lost his you Golden Retreiver when he STUPIDLY put the dog in the bed of his truck. He somehow got loose of the lead and jumped out and got killed by another car :'(

It's just plain ignorant if you ask me. Crate him and secure it, if he's not welcome to ride in the cab with your father.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast