E-Collar question...

Thread: E-Collar question...

AbbyandMolly is offline Senior Member

DefaultE-Collar question...

I do not mean to start a debate, nor upset anyone but I have an e-collar question.

Abby our 4 year old had some behavior issues. We paid quite a bit of money on an e-collar (not sure of make/model) and time with a professional trainer to learn how to properly use it for off lead commands.

Would I be able to use the same collar for Molly once she is older and ready for off lead commands or would I need a new collar? Also since all dogs are different would we need to go to some private sessions with Molly?

TIA for any advice
    *Stacey*
    ~Abby, Molly, and Penny (the honorary lab)

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: E-Collar question...

MY Puff (YF, AKC, field line, 63 lbs., dob:8-'01) has two Dogtra 220-NCP e-collars jusat in case one doesn't work.

ORDINARILY, I recommend that anyone training a Lab go through the obedience courses so they kearn HOW to train.

BUT since you've had someone else train your first Lab with an e-collar, UNLESS you find some fault with the e-collar you're using, I see no reason to change.

Training a dog is a science and an art. You must know the basic principles and you must kniow how to vary your methods to accomplish the desired results.

IF you and your family's dog handlers are NOT willing to learn those relationships and skills, I STRONGLY suggestthat yolu go back to the trainer who did an acceptable job with your first Lab

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Thank you for your reply Bob Pr.

The collar is 2 years old, and we haven't used it recently (within the past 6 months or so) do you think it will still work properly? Is there any way to test this?
    *Stacey*

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Recharge it for 24 hours and then test it on yourself at lower levels.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

brianttu is offline Senior Member

They have collars and remotes that can handle up to more than one dog. My trainers remote has a green and a red switch which is color cordinated with the collar.

If you remember the basic princpals and have been successful of how to use the colar, you shouldn't need a professional to come into your house and re train you unless you are wanting to work on specific issues.

Like Bob I have a Dogtra. You may want to check on new collars, they may have some features that you could find useful, but if the collar works and the dog responses to it, you dont have to upgrade.
    Thanks,<br /><br />Brian<br /><br /><br />CGC, TDI Certified

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

A good ecollar is going to be pricey. The cheap models they sell in places like Petco are not reliable. There is often a delay between the transmitter and receiver. Sometimes the nick can be inconsitantly hot or cold even on the same setting. Neither of these situations is good for training. I only recommend Dogtra or Tritronics and I prefer Dogtra for the average pet owner/dog. Tritronics is larger/bulkier and hotter.

Several companies make 2 dogs models. If you have one handler for both dogs, this is the way to go. If you have 2 handlers then you can get 2 single dog collars. Of cource you can use Abby's collar on Molly but what are you going to use for Abby then?

I always suggest taking lessons with a knowledgable ecollar trainer. This is as much for you as it is for the dog. Every dog is different so even though you've had the lessons, you most likely will have different issues with Molly so having a knowledgable resource to help guide you is always a good choice.
    <br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE

Thanks Lydia

Ya, know I didn't even think about what we would use on Abby. We used hers to establish boundaries and enforce off lead commands before we got our fence. Now we use it for off leash romps on the beach and since we haven't had one of those for a bit I hadn't given it thought. I'll have to look into some of the two dog models when the time comes. (miss molly still needs work with on lead commands lol).

As I type this mom informs me that our collar was given to a friend who wanted one for their GSP....looks like we'll be looking into a new one anyways
    *Stacey*