Walking on the leash
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Walking on the leash

steve06 is offline Junior Member

DefaultWalking on the leash

Hi, my 7-month-old lab is absolute rubbish walking on the leash. She was really good for a week then it suddenly stopped. We have constantly been trying. We have tried using a voice command then tap on our leg but she rarely listens and she rarely does listen when we have treat but when she does she only does it for about 5 seconds but now she doesn't care about the treat. We have also tried stopping when she pulls then start walking again but when we start walking again she just charges forward? We also have tried when she pulls we turn around and say '' Lets go'' and then if she pulls again we turn back around and say ''Lets go'' after doing that she still didn't get the point.
    She doesnít pay attention to what we are saying or do.
    Could someone give us some advice? We have been trying for over 3 months now :-\

Much appreciated,

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_MilesMom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Walking on the leash

Sounds like you've been at it awhile and consistent. Have you worked with a professional trainer? It may only take one or two meetings. A trainer may be able to watch what is going on and give you some good advice.

Good luck!
    <br /><br />Grand River Run Genaration &quot;Miles&quot;&nbsp; CGC RN, RL1, RL2, RA, CW-SR, C-OB1, RL1X, RL3, RE

No I havenít tried a professional trainer. Certainly a good idea. I'll see if any one else has any other ideas if not ill take her to see one.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Have you tried the Gentle Leader, Halti or the Easy Walk Harness? What about a prong collar? One of those might be in order. Keep in mind that they don't train your dog to walk nicely -- you still have to do that -- but they might help get her under control in the meantime.

For what it's worth, I haven't used any of the above and did teach mine to walk nicely using the method you described (standing still or turning around)... but it took probably 5 or 6 months of daily training with complete consistency. I have the benefit of having a light-weight, too -- she's only 55 lbs -- don't know that I could have done it with a bigger dog.

I brought one of those Easy Walk Harness yesterday and took her out and I did the usual methods, which I said above, and she kind of understood what to do. So thatís good. What ive been doing is when she charges forward I stop and get her back in the heel position and then get her to sit and once she sitting I say heel and then I go again. I do this every time she pulls but when I turn around when she pulls she get the point a lot better than the stopping one.

Could any one tell me the methods they did for getting their dog to walk nicely on the lead?

Much appreciated

Trickster is offline Senior Member

There is a big thread on leash manners halfway down the page;

https://www.justlabradors.com/forum/i...ic,7359.0.html

There are MANY different ways to teach a dog to walk nicely. What works for one person may not necessarily work for another and as a result you will get lots of conflicting opinions on this subject. I honestly feel it depends on what you want to get out of your dog. If you are training a field dog, obviously a head halti is no good which is why I use my rope lead method. If you training an obedience dog, obviously a harness is no good. If you are training a family pet, you have a lot of options open to you. Training aids (Gentle Leaders, Halti's, anti-pull harnesses) DO work most of the time but they are a short term solution. They prevent but not train the dog to stop pulling.

I suggest you read through that thread and adopt some methods you would like to try. Experiment until you find one that works for you and your dog.

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

LOL you referenced my Pulling thread!!!

Steve06...

If I can give you ANY advice it is to PICK a method and be 100% consistent on it for at least a week before giving up and trying something else. I fell into this trap and now I feel like I need to "reteach" Ender how to walk on the leash.
    ~Lindsay

If you donít mind me asking, Ender's Mom what method are using at the moment for Ender?

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

Well... ;D

Uhhh...

(see how indecisive I am)

He actually hasn't been "walked" per se since I posted that thread but what I'm going to work on first is making sure he's paying attention to me. THAT seems to be the key part of his pulling. In fact... I need to reread my own thread and decide on something within the next 3 hrs 'cause it will be WALK TIME then. (Tuesday night we had obedience class, and yesterday he had doggy day care so too tired to walk)
    ~Lindsay

;D ;D Ok

I find it is hard to get Jessís attention because she does like her treats but a soon as we are outside she doesnít care if I have a treat in my hand or not.* ???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast