Potty time

Thread: Potty time

Buckyball is offline Senior Member

DefaultPotty time

My mom has the tendency to let Buck out (when he has to go to the bathroom) and just shut the door behind him. When she does this he just plays around the yard and does not do his business and then tries to come back inside. If I walk out there with him and say "hurry up" (for peeing) and "let's go Poop Buck" he will do what he needs to and then head back inside. But he won't do this unless I am there telling him to. Of course if he has to go bad enough he will go right away.
    Question is have I enforced some sort of bad habit? Or is he just being a puppy and will grow out of it? He's 22 weeks old today
    <3 01/01/2006-03/18/2017 <3

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Djc1249 is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Potty time

Maybe only time will tell if it's a bad habit, that he won't go unless you tell him to, I mean.

What you're doing is the same thing I did with mine, though. I always went out with him, for potty time, 'til he was 4-5 mos. old. But we were also always out with him because he was too young to be out by himself, we thought.

After some time, though, instead of saying potty or poop, we'd just go to his spot and he'd do it. This was going into summer last year, too, and by then we were outside all the time with him, even when he wasn't going potty. So he just started going potty at his spot on his own.

Maybe you could try to continue taking him out, going to his spot, but not giving the verbal nudge? Or if you're out for longer periods of time with the nice weather, he'll just start going on his own when you're outside.
    <br />Did you say TREAT ?!?<br /><br />Tucker, 3 yrs. --- Tipper, 10 mos.<br />http://www.dogster.com/dogs/284460<br />http://www.dogster.com/dogs/715680

Buckyball is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Potty time

yeah I guess only time can tell...I don't trust him by himself outside yet either. It has been raining ALOT lately and there are mushrooms in our yard and I just want him "tasting" any of it. I try to get rid of as much as I can find but they sprout out again out of no where!

I guess as long as he is doing his business outside it's all good I was just wondering if anyone else had this same problem.
    <3 01/01/2006-03/18/2017 <3