How to teach settle
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to teach settle

dreamer is offline Senior Member

DefaultHow to teach settle

I've read about this command but I don't know what it means. How exactly do you teach settle??

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ThatsMyGirl Guest

DefaultRe: How to teach settle

See how your pup is laying in your avatar? That is a settled position. The other way that that they sometimes lay -- I know I'm not going to do a good job describing it -- but it's where they basically have their legs tucked under them -- makes it very easy for them to pop up. When they are in the settled position, it just requires more effort for them.

Mine has a tendency, when I say down, to just tuck her legs underneath her. To teach her to settle, I woud say "settle" and then move a treat around to her side and that forced her to move into a settled position. Then I would say "good settle".

I haven't had much sleep and am probably not doing the best job explaining it. sorry ...

imported_MilesMom is offline Senior Member

We've been working on settle/

Sit on the floor with your dog. Lie him on his side and hold the paws that are closest to the floor. Keep your fore-arms on the dogs side but not applying pressure or much anyway. In an unemotional voice say "settle". Most pups will fight it. Just keep at it until he settles and relaxes. Then release him, say good settle and reward. It's excellent because if you can get them so they do this on command, you can manage some potentially out of control situations.
    <br /><br />Grand River Run Genaration &quot;Miles&quot;&nbsp; CGC RN, RL1, RL2, RA, CW-SR, C-OB1, RL1X, RL3, RE

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

dreamer is offline Senior Member

So is it completely on their side or just the back legs? Thanks for the description, it does help. I just didn't understand the difference between down and settle.

Completely on their side.
    <br /><br />Grand River Run Genaration &quot;Miles&quot;&nbsp; CGC RN, RL1, RL2, RA, CW-SR, C-OB1, RL1X, RL3, RE

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Quote Originally Posted by MilesMom
    Completely on their side.
    This is different than the settle I use -- I guess it's whatever you want it to be.* I've attached a picture of what I call settle.* Are you saying that for Miles it is when he is lying with one entire side (head to toe) touching the floor?* To me, settle is nothing more than a comfortable down/stay -- and I use it with the term "blanket" when I want her to go to a special spot (on her blanket) and stay there.

Dave_and_Christie Guest

Saidie is just getting the hang of "down". I couldn't imagine trying to teach her "settle" as a different form of "down". I think it'll confuse the both of us. ???

Djc1249 is offline Senior Member

I'm so glad this question was posted, and settle described. I've not taught it, but wanted to. Thanks for describing it so well
    <br />Did you say TREAT ?!?<br /><br />Tucker, 3 yrs. --- Tipper, 10 mos.<br />http://www.dogster.com/dogs/284460<br />http://www.dogster.com/dogs/715680

That's how they are having us do it in class, all the way down on one side. I just hope someday, if things get crazy at my house, I'll be able to tell him settle and he'll go lie down. Just to keep things sane.

brianttu is offline Senior Member

Im struggling to see the difference between settle and down, or lay down. Can someone please clarify?
    Thanks,<br /><br />Brian<br /><br /><br />CGC, TDI Certified

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast