biting

View Poll Results: I need advice on how to handle my puppys biting,when we start playing with her she suddenly gets ver

Voters
0. You may not vote on this poll
  • any

0 0%
  • any

0 0%

Thread: biting

imported_BELLA is offline Junior Member

Defaultbiting

has any one have this kind of situation or what am i doing wrong. any advise will be appreciated. thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_MilesMom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: biting

That's hard because it is natural for them to do so. I've been pretty firm on a loud No bite! Seems to help.
    <br /><br />Grand River Run Genaration &quot;Miles&quot;&nbsp; CGC RN, RL1, RL2, RA, CW-SR, C-OB1, RL1X, RL3, RE

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Everyone whose had a lab puppy has been in this situation. It's a very natural canine behavior. There are many ways to handle the nippiness. The method that worked for us was YELPING really loudly when Sami would nip us. It would startle her. We would then say "no bite" and immediately turn our backs and walk away from her. Also, anytime that Sami would get too wound up and bitey we would just stop playing with her -- going so far as to turn our backs to her. If we were on the floor, we'd get up and walk off. She learned pretty quickly that we just wouldn't play with her when she was like that.

A couple of things -- make sure if you stand up to ignore her that you stand up completely straight. Dogs interpret leaning forward as a sign of play.

Whatever method you try, please understand that your puppy will probably continue to nip until around 5+ months of age, or when their adult teeth come in. However, that doesn't let you off the hook now -- you still need to be consistent (everyone in the family -- children included -- must handle it the same way) or you will end up with a older dog that still nips.

Don't worry -- it WILL go away ... although when you're going thru it, it sure doesn't seem like it. ;D

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_MilesMom is offline Senior Member

Just back from puppy class and we talked about biting.

A firm/loud "ow!" or "no bite!" and stop play immediately. If this doesn't work or it escalates, a time out may be necessary in the crate. Crating nicely, simply a time out, not a punishment. Never use the crate as punishment. it helps for puppy to learn that when biting starts, play stops.

When puppies play with each other, they bite. They need to learn that humans have thin skin and biting hurts.

I hope that helps. I will try it. I have had no choice but to put Miles in time out when my 2 1/2 year old grand daughter is over OR keep him on a leash. Now that he's 12 weeks, he's more rambunctious and he sees her as a litter mate. Hi behavior around her is different and he tends to be much more fired up. I never crate him until I see he's really going to be at her but when he's like that he scares her and his nipping hurts her. This is a big thing we will be working on because I'd like them to coexist in peace. Her age makes it tough too because she isn't yet able to follow instructions at the degree necessary to deal this Miles.
    <br /><br />Grand River Run Genaration &quot;Miles&quot;&nbsp; CGC RN, RL1, RL2, RA, CW-SR, C-OB1, RL1X, RL3, RE

Dave_and_Christie Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsMyGirl
    Don't worry -- it WILL go away ... although when you're going thru it, it sure doesn't seem like it.* ;D
    Tell me about it! : Sadie bites and nibbles at everything, including us. We do the "no bite", but we will have to start to use the "time out" method, aswell as the "ow/cry" method when she begins to bite us while we are playing. Good advice!

biscuit is offline Senior Member

Biscuit was a crazy maniac biter until he was about 5 months old, or so. When he put his teeth on me (and Gosh, do I remember those needle-like puppy teeth!), I also said in a VERY stern voice "NO BITE", and I totally removed all my attention, because that was the thing he wanted most of all. My boyfriend used to slap him on the nose when Biscuit bit him and that just encouraged the behavior because Biscuit thought he was playing. :-\
    I also tried to give him an alternative to my hand/nose/toes and would put an appropriate toy in his mouth when he got reallly mouthy. I'd then say "good toy", or something like that- to help him differentiate what is ok and not ok to chew/bite.
    With consistency between you and everyone else who plays with your pup, she will outgrow this stage!!
    <br />Kristin &amp; Biscuit

Dave_and_Christie Guest

Had to put Sadie in a time out tonight. I felt bad. I only put her in her crate for about 5 mintues. She just got way too bitey. Any form of "ow/cry" method was seldomly working today, (though it does work most of the time), and then when followed with a firm "No Bite!".....today it just seemed to make her more bitey. So we put her in her crate. She wasn't sleepy, and as she was in prime play mode, she was not happy about it. She barked for a couple minutes, then it turned into a whine for a couple more. Ignoring her while she was in her crate was crucial. And shortly she was quiet, and much more calm. We brought her out, and tried to treat train a bit to give her some praise, but you could tell she knew she had done something wrong...she looked all sad like. She laid down in the corner, and ahd a little nap. We let her. But after a bit, I awoke her with some treats in tow. With some training and praise, she was back to her cheerful self.

What does this mean? The time out worked. Well, it seem to have worked. She got out of control and we put an arupt end to it. I just hope we dont have to do it more often. But boy, she has some sharp teeth!