any ideas for my problem??

Thread: any ideas for my problem??

Tasmans Mom is offline Senior Member

Defaultany ideas for my problem??

Tasman is now 4 and a bit months old and I cannot get him to stop chomping on stones.
    If I am there he will Leave it or Drop it but on walks I am constantly having to keep my eye
    on him. It feels to me like he is developing some strange obession, we have an appointment
    with a behavourist next week but I was wondering if there is anybody here who has any advise.

Thanks again!
    <br /><br />Taz 8 months old..!<br />----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Please come and visit my blog at mylabtaz.blogspot.com

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

luke from georgia is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: any ideas for my problem??

i don't have any experience with this, but i found some info by googling.

http://www.thepetprofessor.com/artic...le.aspx?id=111
    http://www.azcentral.com/families/ar...ice1224Z3.html
    http://www.naturalcanine.com/Merchan...y_Code=PAERCWE

i hope the behaviorist can help.

"Properly trained, a man can be dog's best friend." ~ Corey Ford

imported_Belles mom is offline Senior Member

My Hoss seems to have outgrown his rock eating obesssion (knocking on wood). But up until about a year old, I had to be VERY vigiliant about rocks. He has passed some awfully big ones!
    Karen and<br />UAG1 SHR UCDX GRCH Tracker Belle of Bedford RAE JH CDX TT WCX WC CGC (Belle)<br /><br />UCD SHR GRCH BIMBS BBI Belle&#39;s Kodiak Dreamweaver JH UD RAE TT WC CGC (Kodi)<br /><br />SHR UCH BBI Ponderosa&#39;s Big Blond Guy JH RE TT WC CGC (Hoss)

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thanks to you both, I have checked out all the links, very interesting
    I will print some things out for the behaviorist.

To Belle's Mom: hopefully he will grow out of it quickly I am a bit worried about this obsession...
    <br /><br />Taz 8 months old..!<br />----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Please come and visit my blog at mylabtaz.blogspot.com

imported_MilesMom is offline Senior Member

ugh! Miles eats rocks too. He threw up a pretty large one last weekend. I watch him like a hawk but he got that one by me.
    <br /><br />Grand River Run Genaration &quot;Miles&quot;&nbsp; CGC RN, RL1, RL2, RA, CW-SR, C-OB1, RL1X, RL3, RE

It's just that is not a big problem now but I don;t want it to get out of hand.
    I have been reading a little bit on the internet about it and they sometimes suggest
    boredom and lack of excersize as a cause. I feel like such a bad Mommy now... :'(
    I leave Tasman alone for 2 x 3 hours 4 days a week. With a good 30 minute walk/retrieve/play
    on the beach in the middle (and a walk in the morning and in the afternoon when I come home.
    Do you think it's not enough?? I also leave him a frozen kong and other toys in his crate...

imported_MilesMom is offline Senior Member

Oh gosh, you aren't a bad Mommy! That's not much leaving alone at all.

If you feel you need to bump up the exersize do it. But you are a very good mommy to Tasman.
    <br /><br />Grand River Run Genaration &quot;Miles&quot;&nbsp; CGC RN, RL1, RL2, RA, CW-SR, C-OB1, RL1X, RL3, RE

That's nice thanks! ;D

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

You can use WATCH ME to divert his attention from the rocks. I use this w/Wesley when get gets into his 'grazing' phase of feeling like he's got to imitatie a cow and chomp on long grass when we're out walking.

I have bumped up the excersize and eactually think that was the problem
    so we'll still have a chat with the lady but I think this might be less of a problem
    than I first thought.!!

Thanks for all your great advise ;D