*Sigh* ... Help Me Understand This Behavior
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: *Sigh* ... Help Me Understand This Behavior

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Default*Sigh* ... Help Me Understand This Behavior

Sami is 11 months old.* I want(ed) to start leaving her un-crated and began by blocking off a small portion of my office -- this section included her crate, which I left open.* *I left her for an hour yesterday and she did fine.* I was gone a little over an hour today and she chewed up a throw rug.* This is not the first little rug she has de-threaded.* She went through two that were in her x-pen before I learned my lesson.* Apparently, I have a short memory, because now she's torn up a third one.* What's the deal with these rugs?*

As background, I will say that I always exercise her before I leave her.* Today she had been for a l-o-n-g walk, had been swimming in the creek, done water retrieves until she was tired, and then came home and played in the sprinkler (which included multiple butt-tucking episodes in the yard).* She should have been tired.* I left her with a frozen kong and a zillion toys.* If it's just boredom, then why doesn't she do this when I'm home and not engaging her? She has free run of the house when I'm home and never touches anything that isn't hers.* The obvious solution is to crate her.* I don't have a problem with it ... I just wonder why she does this?* Could this be a form of separation anxiety?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

LovingMyLabsLori is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: *Sigh* ... Help Me Understand This Behavior

With all that exercise, she should have slept for hours and not even noticed you were missing. I would simply re-crate her, perhaps she feels less safe and more anxious when you're not at home and really prefers to be in her "den".
    ** * * <br /><br />Grandquest Itza Callie at Davlo Farm AKC YF 1/2006<br />Majestic Murphy of Davlo Farm*NR BM Rescued 1/2004<br />Black Baby Indio&nbsp; AKC BM* Rescued 9/2004

deneen is offline Senior Member

Honestly there are some dogs that can never be trusted uncrated and some that never need crating...hard to know until you try. Laura is always saying her Shanny has a life sentence. With my dogs I tried leaving them in my game room, Gunny dug up the rug...he's only 10 months old...but if I give him the run of the entire house he destroys nothing. He will sit 1/2 on my love seat and 1/2 on the window sill like a 70 lb cat. Maybe she just isn't ready.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

luke from georgia is offline Senior Member

luke is nearly 5 years old.
    he has a bit of separation anxiety, just a wee bit.
    it used to bad a couple of years ago, but it's much, much better.
    he is PERFECT when another human is in the house.

leave him in the house alone, even with other dogs, for even less than an hour, and i might still find something chewed up or a pee spot in the house.

luke is 100% housetrained.* he can hold it for 18 hours or more if he has to.* he NEVER messes in the house, even if he has an upset tummy.* he ALWAYS rings the bell or bugs me endlessly if he needs a potty break, even if he has the runs.

but, luke cannot handle being humanless.* he will chew on something he would normally never look twice at or pee in the house due to some kind of anxiety.

needless to say, we have to crate him, but he LOVES his crate, and we love it too.* it keeps him safe and our sanity in tact.

with sami, she just may be too young still.

"Properly trained, a man can be dog's best friend." ~ Corey Ford

brianttu is offline Senior Member

11 months may still be too early. Maybe 18 months or 2 years would be a better time frame to attempt his. Hopefully by then your pup will have all the chewing needs out of his/her system. We are keeping Allie out a night now and that is working perfectly, have you already acheived this stage? If not, start with night time before moving to competetly unsupervised day time. Aliie gets bored at night, but never destorys anything (knocking on wood)
    Thanks,<br /><br />Brian<br /><br /><br />CGC, TDI Certified

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Thank you all for your replies. It really does help to know that I'm not the only one that has experienced this. And it helped me to look at the situation in a new light.

In the meantime, I'll take a step backwards and go back to crating. Basically, I'm home with her 24/7 - with the exception of errands and such - so there is absolutely NO rush.

imported_Belles mom is offline Senior Member

LIke Shanny, my Belle has a life sentence to an ex-pen or crate when I am not at home....even for 2 minutes while i go out and attend the grill!! But she has NEVER chewed a blanket or bed in her crate or ex-pen

Kodi, her daughter can only have blankets or sheets in her ex-pen. She shreds beds!

Hoss, her son, who used to chew holes in the carpet can now have a bed in his ex-pen. Go figure!
    Karen and<br />UAG1 SHR UCDX GRCH Tracker Belle of Bedford RAE JH CDX TT WCX WC CGC (Belle)<br /><br />UCD SHR GRCH BIMBS BBI Belle&#39;s Kodiak Dreamweaver JH UD RAE TT WC CGC (Kodi)<br /><br />SHR UCH BBI Ponderosa&#39;s Big Blond Guy JH RE TT WC CGC (Hoss)

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

My Sammi also loves throw rug's- I took a cheaper one and sprayed bitter apple on it! She hated it and so far has left the rug and any other's in the house alone. I have my finger's crossed. Plus she is only 17 wks. so it will be some time before I start leaving her out of her crate when we aren't at home.

Kimba is offline Senior Member

We have tested Kimba for the 3rd time, he is turning one this week and he still will get into things when we are not home. His favorite is the boxspring on the bed. We most likely will not try leaving him out unattended again for awhile. At times I feel like he is the worst lab ever bc we cannot leave him unattended when we are not home, but after reading several posts on this site, I feel like some labs are just good with it and some are not. Kimba loves his crate, so I never feel bad leaving him in and we never leave him very long. Better some time couped up in crate then me having to buy a new bed or Kimba having to get surgery to remove something he ate out of his tummy

imported_MilesMom is offline Senior Member

Kimba is fine! I have a friend who has 2 Golden Retrievers. One 7 and one 4. The 7 year old has had the run the house since she was 2. The other one still cannot be left alone and uncrated and probably never will. They have common characteristics but they are all different.
    <br /><br />Grand River Run Genaration &quot;Miles&quot;&nbsp; CGC RN, RL1, RL2, RA, CW-SR, C-OB1, RL1X, RL3, RE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast