when to start walking?

Thread: when to start walking?

Dave_and_Christie Guest

Defaultwhen to start walking?

This may seem like such a newbie Lab owner question, but when is the right time to start walking a Lab Puppy?
    * *This is our first Lab, and afer all the "hip dysplaisa" and "joint" problems I've read about regarding Labs, I just want to make sure we don't start anything too early, as not to cause any premature problems.
    * * Sadie is at 9 weeks now, and about 19lbs by now I'm guessing. The vet and breeder both warned us to keep her from using stairs for another couple of months until her bones are stronger, so that we are doing. But no one really said anything about walking. She runs around like a maddog in the backyard, and we fetch/retreive toys in the house aswell, so naturally I'm thinking she can handle 10 minute walks at this point. Or am I wrong? Perphaps she shouldn't even be runing around as much as she is?* ???
    * *Or am I being completely paranoid? I am just really concerned about her health and well being as we all are about our dogs, wether they are young or old!
    * * *Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

* *David, Christie
    * * * * * * *& Sadie

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: when to start walking?

Exercise at this age should be more yard-play, like you're doing, than out-and-out walks. Let her get used to her name and the collar and the leash, and keep the sessions short and fun.

The soft grass is best for her right now, rather than sidewalks or pavements.

And, of course, you want to keep her close to home until she's through her regimen of shots.

brianttu is offline Senior Member

I dont think a walk in the immediate area would hurt, but I agree with Dweck, yard play is best if your worried about bone growth.
    Thanks,<br /><br />Brian<br /><br /><br />CGC, TDI Certified

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

yikes, no stairs, Sammi has been going up and down stairs since she was 9 wk's, because that's how she get's into the back yard. Didn't realize that would be bad for her. She's now 17 wk's and seem's to be doing fine. Vet say's all joint's feel great. I know it's still really early for signs of hip problem's, but now I'm really concerned! Plus we have a hill in the back yard she loves to run on especially when she is in her hyper time, or as we call it "happy hour".

imported_MilesMom is offline Senior Member

No stairs for a few months ? How will he get up and down?

I would love to keep Miles from going up and down the stairs but he weighs 27 pounds now (12 weeks) and I can't carry him up and down all the time. Sometimes he wiggles to get down and I am afraid I'd drop him and send him rolling down the stairs. It's not practical to keep him off stairs. Of course, I don't play games where we run up and down over and over, but as I move around the house, he follows and carrying him up and down is no longer and option. When he was 9 weeks, I did. But that was over at least a week ago.

<br /><br />Grand River Run Genaration &quot;Miles&quot;&nbsp; CGC RN, RL1, RL2, RA, CW-SR, C-OB1, RL1X, RL3, RE

Dave_and_Christie Guest

I think my breeder and vet both meant to prevent continuous use of stairs when there are lots of them...or something along those lines. I too agree, once they reach that certain weight category, you just can't carry them safely anymore. Luckily we own a bungalow home with the only stairs (being 5 or so), at the back entrance way that lead to the backyard. I'm sure our Sadie would be fine going up and down, but I am still able to carry her at her 18lbs right now, so I'm going to keep that up and talk to the vet again at our next appointment in three weeks.
    We have taken Sadie on a couple short walks in the front park area, and I must say, it feels so much better(for me) to get her excersised in an organized way. Playing and hoarse play is always fun (for her), but it begins to wear me out at times. We're gonna shy away from any extensive walking still, though sadie did enjoy the new atmosphere. But as it has been said, maybe best to wait it out until her shots are completely done, and also to give her more time to recognize her name, the callback, and of course, Leave it! And also, allow her bones to get stronger. But you know, if early aged walking and the use of stairs was so bad for Labs, wouldn't be printed in bold or soemthing? I urge everyone to ask around, your vets, breeders, freinds, etc. I'd still like to hear a strong veiwpoint regarding either side of this issue!

TangerineFizz is offline Senior Member

I wouldn't start taking her to public parks or areas until she has finished all her shots, the rule of thumb for that is usually around 16 weeks. She could pick up parvo or giardia or something otherwise. Some say no outside your yard activity until then for that reason, others say different. I know that you shouldn't allow your dog to go jogging with you until at least after 2 to protect the hip joints, and no big jumping either. I know it's hard, I'm an organized exercizer too, but if you can hold on til she's a bit over 16 weeks you will be in the clear. With parvo so prevalent these days you don't want to take any chances.

As for the hard running in the yard, I think that's fine. That's what puppies do to burn off steam. Full grown labs to boot lol
    Me, Abzilla and the Helomonster.

fburke is offline Senior Member

Willow is 11 weeks old and I do yard play, and before bed I take her for a short walks maybe 1 mile or so at a normal walking pace with stops to sniff or pee in-between.

As far as stairs go I never heard of that I have 2 floors and even though Willow is “not allowed” up stairs it doesn’t stop her form trotting up or down them.

Now I wouldn’t run her too much, that can cause problems with their joints. I have seen other posting on this sties from joggers and most of the suggestions the them have been to not to run with the Lab until at lest 1 year or even 2 and work up to a good run,