help-this jumping needs to stop!

Thread: help-this jumping needs to stop!

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

Defaulthelp-this jumping needs to stop!

My otherwise perfect pup , is out of control when it comes to jumping up on other's. She is good with me, hubby and our kids. But when new people come to the door she is so excited, before I can give her any command she is at the door and ready to jump. She know's sit- stay, down (most of the time), she is getting very good about not nipping or biting, and comes 95% of the time. But this has to stop, now when she is only 30lb.s, can't wait until she is 60 plus lbs. She is 17 wk.s and start's obedience class next wk. She really is just a love, any suggestion's would
    be greatly appreciated- Thank's- Sammi's mom

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ThatsMyGirl Guest

DefaultRe: help-this jumping needs to stop!

I have a Sami, too .... and she doesn't jump. I'll tell you how I taught her. We started day 1 with her. Anytime she would begin to jump we would always attempt to dodge the jump by moving out of her way. Even if we couldn't dodge it and she jumped up, the result was the same -- we turned away and completely ignored her. We did not scream, say her name, or even yell "off", as I truly believe that even negative attention can reinforce jumping behavior. As soon as Sami would have "four on the floor" we would give her tons of attention and praise. I would say that this all took about a month or max two. She tried it again around 6 months of age, but it went away quickly.

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

I'd keep a leash on her. Stand on the leash so when she jumps up she self corrects. ;D Also, make her sit or at least have 4 on the floor before anyone touches her. Enforce this with everyone who visits (this is tough because everyone forgives puppies but you are right, she will be 60#s one day).
    <br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

Thank's both sugge
    stion's are very helpful. I will encourage the family to follow through with them. Both of your pup's are beautiful!