How to teach them to "go"...

Thread: How to teach them to "go"...

JessieLea is offline Junior Member

DefaultHow to teach them to "go"...

in the same place every time. My dogs are outside all the time. I have a pretty big yard, farm, pastures and they "go" in the yard and flower beds. I want them to go outside of the yard somewhere. I hate shoveling their poo!
    Check my website for pictures!<br /><br />Yeah, we&#039;re &quot;outside dogs&quot;, got a problem with that?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: How to teach them to "go"...

Ender allready goes in the same place but that's probably 'cause he's allways on leash and I only take him to one spot. Might take a few weeks of consistent "leash" pooping to teach your pup where to go.
    ~Lindsay

JessieLea is offline Junior Member

that's just the thing. I'm not around them constantly to take them to potty. We have plenty of room to let them roam around so I don't even OWN a leash. I thought maybe if I got all the poo up and dumped it somewhere that they'd smell it and go there.* ???My mom also bought some of this spray stuff to spray in the flower beds that is supposed to keep them out. I don't think it will work.
    Check my website for pictures!<br /><br />Yeah, we&#039;re &quot;outside dogs&quot;, got a problem with that?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Djc1249 is offline Senior Member

I'm assuming they're small pups?

Here's what ours did....we have a huge yard too, with a 2-3 acre field beside us. From the first day home, we took him out to the upper side of the yard, next to the field. I always took him to the same place, to pee and poop. Hub would shovel the poop and toss it into the field. On the third day home, Tucker just stepped into the field ('cause that's where he smelled the poop) and he's gone pee and poop in the field ever since. We never have to clean the yard.

Maybe you could get a leash, and start taking them out to the same place each time, on leash, to a field or the pasture..wherever you want them to eventually go...and make that their spot to go. They may catch on really quick. But you'll probably have to do it on leash, and/or go out with them each time for awhile, 'til they catch on.

And use a word to connect what they're to do...potty, go potty, or whatever.

Good luck...it might work for ya.
    <br />Did you say TREAT ?!?<br /><br />Tucker, 3 yrs. --- Tipper, 10 mos.<br />http://www.dogster.com/dogs/284460<br />http://www.dogster.com/dogs/715680

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Traits differ in strength from dog to dog.* E.g., many Labs take to swimming immediately while some are very hesitant.* Some have a superb "nose" while others are not as sensitive.* And so on through all the traits.

THAT said, peeing and pooping serves two main purposes in dogs (in addition to getting rid of digestive products).*

One is it marks their territory.* Most Labs would rather have a medium to large size territory to call their own rather than one that's a foot or two square.* Some Labs may not be that strong in that trait and training may be able to easily over-ride the drive to mark territory.

The other is that it's a form of what I call "pee-mail" (or better yet, "p-mail" with the "p" standing for both pee and poop).* Dogs read these messages and learn the age, gender, health, readiness to breed, and probably many other characteristics of the dogs leaving* those messages.* MOST dogs would rather leave their messages all around rather than post multiple copies in the same place.* When a dog goes walking they're usually intent in reading these various messages and leaving brief replies of their own.

SOME few owners have reported success in getting their Labs to eliminate in the same spot.* For awhile, I rewarded Puff for peeing in a general area rich in dandelions I wanted killed and she often obliged. But I had a previous Lab with access to a fenced backyard through a doggy door and she polka-dotted the whole yard.* And most dogs I've known do also.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748