Hand signals

Thread: Hand signals

JessieLea is offline Junior Member

DefaultHand signals

Which hand signals do you use for general commands. I'm not really sure what to use.
    Check my website for pictures!<br /><br />Yeah, we&#039;re &quot;outside dogs&quot;, got a problem with that?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Hand signals

Use whatever you want! ;D

Probably start out with exagerated gestures then make them smaller after your pup learns them. I use a fist pumped once for sit... kind of like the begining of paper rock scissors.
    ~Lindsay

JessieLea is offline Junior Member

I taught them 'sit' in one day! They're so smart!
    Check my website for pictures!<br /><br />Yeah, we&#039;re &quot;outside dogs&quot;, got a problem with that?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

Make sure your signals are clear and distinct. Use opposite hands if necessary. Watch your signals in a mirror...do they look different enough?

Tips: Make sure your palm is facing the dog. This means when you give the down or sit signal your palm should not be facing up or down because it is too small for the dog to see.

Here are my signals:

Stay: right hand, Open palm held in front of the dogs nose. This is a crisp signal, not a slow motion one.
    Stand: if stationary (like Novice SFE), right hand open palm facing right in front of the dog's nose then moving forward away from the dog (this signal is different from stay because it is moving). For moving stand, left hand, open palm facing down moved forward in front of the dog
    Heel: left hand, scoop down and forward then place back at my waist
    Down: right hand up in the air (like the Nazi salute) and drop arm towards the ground in front of me with palm always facing the dog
    Sit: left hand at my side, move hand up toward my shoulder (no higher than shoulder height) palm facing the dog (think
    "jazz hands".
    Come: right hand, raise straight out to side to shoulder height, scoop around in front of me, back to my chest (kind of like patting yourself on your chest).
    Around finish (right): right hand, scoop out from my waist (palm facing backwards) around behind me (think wiping a smell away ).
    Swing finish (left): left hand, shoulder height in front of you with palm facing out (thumb would be down) push to the left side (palm is now backwards) staying at shoulder height.
    <br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE