Too Young to be Boarded?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Too Young to be Boarded?

hntnhskr is offline Junior Member

DefaultToo Young to be Boarded?

Hi All,
    Am leaving for Canada to fish for a week, and have no option but to board my 9.5 week old YLM at the vet's office(I know...take him with...but not quite yet!). He needs to be there for his 10 wk shots next week anyways. I'm concerned this may be traumatic for him due to his age, and possibly pick up some bad habits (i.e. barking, etc.) due to other dogs there. Am I worrying about nothing? They say they get the dogs out 3 or 4 times a day, so it's not like he's kenneled up all the time.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

brianttu is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Too Young to be Boarded?

I tired to board my dog at 10 weeks and no one would take him because he wasnt 100% current with his shots. Im surprised you found someone who was willing to board your pup because I called 5-6 places with no luck. I ended up taking my puppy with me to a funeral, your talking about fishing, so I would see if you cant leave your pup with a friend you really trust.

Traumatic for the puppy... yes, if its only been away from mom for a few weeks. This is the time the puppy is trying to bond with someone else since mom and litter mates arent around. There could be potential long term affects on the dogs personality. I will let others speak to this, because they have more knowledge than me.

I could be completely wrong, im not speaking for experience...
    Thanks,<br /><br />Brian<br /><br /><br />CGC, TDI Certified

imported_Belles mom is offline Senior Member

I'd try and find a trustworthy friend with a pup that young. I have "boarded" really young pups before for friends and just think it would be easier on the pup.
    Karen and<br />UAG1 SHR UCDX GRCH Tracker Belle of Bedford RAE JH CDX TT WCX WC CGC (Belle)<br /><br />UCD SHR GRCH BIMBS BBI Belle&#39;s Kodiak Dreamweaver JH UD RAE TT WC CGC (Kodi)<br /><br />SHR UCH BBI Ponderosa&#39;s Big Blond Guy JH RE TT WC CGC (Hoss)

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tagen is offline Senior Member

Try finding a friend. If you can't, really check into to see what your vet offer's boarding wise. Here's why:

I work at a clinic that does boarding. They will only board dogs under 40lbs because they stay in crate-size kennels, not large indoor/outdoor ones. The dogs get to go on walks 3-4 times a day, but these walks are maybe 5-10 minutes, tops. Techs and volunteers are the ones responsible for walking the dogs, and if it's a crazy hectic day, they only get to walk the dog long enough to go potty and then it's back in the kennel. So realistically, these dogs spend an average of 22-23 hours a day in a small kennel that's barely big enough to pace back and forth in. Most everyone tries to give the dogs extra attention, but if we are busy with clients or emergiencies, it's just not possible. We have business cards for a breeder who also has a borading facility, and let's just say I've sent him a lot of business his way

So, really find out what your vet's boarding procedures are. Ask who's in charge of walking the animals. How long is each walk? Where do they walk them? Basically, if their set up is similar to ours then this would be a TERRIBLE ordeal for your very young pup to go through. Please find a someone who can give your puppy the attention he NEEDS. If you can't find anyone, you really need to consider taking him with you.

imported_Belles mom is offline Senior Member

Any chance that the breeder would take him back for the time you are gone?

I take back (board) two of my pups when the owners go on vacation.
    Karen and<br />UAG1 SHR UCDX GRCH Tracker Belle of Bedford RAE JH CDX TT WCX WC CGC (Belle)<br /><br />UCD SHR GRCH BIMBS BBI Belle&#39;s Kodiak Dreamweaver JH UD RAE TT WC CGC (Kodi)<br /><br />SHR UCH BBI Ponderosa&#39;s Big Blond Guy JH RE TT WC CGC (Hoss)

JacobAlthea&Tatum is offline Senior Member

Your fishing trip is really THAT important?
    I'm Jenn. Keeper of two labs in my home and one forever in my heart.

Throw the ball, damn it!

jeepnut24 is offline Member

We found that about 1/3 of the boarders in town would take our 9 week old. All were full though at the time. So we found a friend, and 2 minutes into her stay, Maya covered her carpet with poo.

Rocksypup is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Momma to J and A
    Your fishing trip is really THAT important?*
    With all due respect, I would venture that is nothing to do with you! Give advice, but don't make someone feel bad because they have to get on with their life! :

JacksAndLabs is offline Senior Member

I too recommend the friend route. If you board your pup at a place where they're only taken outside 2 or 3 times a day, your basically encouraging the pup to potty in its living area...that's asking for big time housebreaking problems when you get home.
    ~Nicole<br />Grand Ledge, MI<br /><br />

JacobAlthea&Tatum is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rocksypup
    Quote Originally Posted by Momma to J and A
    Your fishing trip is really THAT important?
    With all due respect, I would venture that is nothing to do with you! Give advice, but don't make someone feel bad because they have to get on with their life! :
    Excuse me very much, but my advice is to rethink your priorities.
    I'm Jenn. Keeper of two labs in my home and one forever in my heart.

Throw the ball, damn it!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast