Advice or ideas? UPDATE

Thread: Advice or ideas? UPDATE

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultAdvice or ideas? UPDATE

Yesterday Judy jumped the fence, but came back when I called her. (She went to the neighbor's yard to clean up after their picnic.) I scolded her, but since she came to me, I hesitated to come down too hard on her since she comes when called.* Today, she did the same thing right in front of me this time!* I know you don't punish a dog who comes when called, but how do I impress on her that she is not allowed to jump the fence?* I scolded her, but that didn't work yesterday.* Didn't know what else to do so I grabbed a leash , did a Caesar Milan and walked and walked her. Don't know if it did her any good, but it calmed me down.* *To say Judy is very willful is a gross understatement, yet she does obey come, sit, stay, etc.* How do I deal with her if she jumps again ?* Just don't call and go after her with a leash? (if I could catch her)

UPDATE: First, I really appreciate everyone's input; the more advice and ideas I get, the better chance I can solve the problem. I don't expect or want all the advice to be the same. What works for one dog/owner may not work for another.

So far, Judy has not jumped again. She jumps from the same place and I scold her if she goes near that place " You'll get a whoopin' with a STICK" . I don't know if she understands the words or the gruff threatening tone, but she understands. She knows that leaving the yard is bad and she obeys 98% of the time, but that's not good enough. I have started daily long walks with her Caesar Milan style to get her to respect me and to impress on her that the only time she leaves the yard is on a leash with me.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Advice or ideas?

If raising the fence height is not a possibility, I'd be very tempted to use an electric fence and collar. Having a loose dog scares me. JMO
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Personally, I would take her by the scruff of the neck back to spot where she jumped, make her sit and correct her verbally. Scruffing won't hurt her but it will make her stop and think.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

She'll never understand that the neck-scruff is in punishment for jumping the fence. The lapse of time is too great. She'll think she's being scruffed for whatever happened most recently, like sitting when you asked her.

Raise the fence. Or add an electric fence inside the existing one.

biscuit is offline Senior Member

I've listened to Patricia McConnell, from the NPR "Calling all Pets" show talk about this alot. She typically recommends either, 1- getting a higher fence so that the dog cannot physically get over it, or otherwise putting something down on the ground, like a large shrub or something that would block her from getting in the position to scale the fence, or 2- creating an aversive experience when the dog jumps the fence, at the far end of the aversion spectrum would be adding an electric fence to the top of your fence, at least temporarily, or putting an electronic collar and being there at the precise moment when the dog scales the fence so that she associates the fence jumping with something that hurts, and in both of the above scenarios, combining it with, 3- being extremely vigilant and preventing the jumping from occurring in the first place, by saying an "uh-huh- no jump", when you see her start to "eye" the fence. When she looks at you give lots of prasie and distract! But, of course, this means you have to have your eye on the dog at all times and that's obviously not easy.

This is such a pain in the neck problem, and I hope that Judy stays home bound!!!
    <br />Kristin &amp; Biscuit

brianttu is offline Senior Member

An e-collar would be an excellent tool for this. Any time your dog approached the fence like he/she might jump, you would give a nick. Unlike an electric fence, you can change the amount of correction needed. The first few times you would provide a higher setting to give a firm correction, but semi attempts could be met with a much lower correction.
    Thanks,<br /><br />Brian<br /><br /><br />CGC, TDI Certified

luke from georgia is offline Senior Member

thus far, judy has learned that jumping the fence leads to nice things like food.*
    it's a hard habit to break.

also, some dogs just don't give a hoot about being corrected/punished.* invoking unpleasantneses from their owner is worth the risk of doing whatever they want to do, if they know they can successfully attain their desires.

if the punishement comes only AFTER the desire is fullfilled, then for judy, it's worth it.* she'll take the correction (maybe not even connecting the punishment to her real crime), but she'll still retain the knowledge that jumping the fence gives her something she wants.

i would guess that if she is able to continue to jump the fence and get rewarded via food, sniffing, etc, and if your belated corrections get increasingly harsh, she won't be so eager to come back each time.

if altering the fence or using electronic tools is not an option for you, you'd have to watch her like a hawk and at the first sign of interest in jumping the fence, you'd have to get her attention and give her a good reason NOT to jump.

can you punish her as soon as she jumps over and before she gets her reward for jumping - every time?* if not, do you think judy might be persuaded to stay in her own yard for a better reward than going into the neighbor's yard.

some dogs simply obey because you said so.* some dogs need a good reason why they should do what you tell them to.* judy probably doesn't get why it is wrong for her to jump the fence and get some goodies or why she should ignore the goodies on the other side.

our yard occassionally gets rabbit poop deposits over night, and as you know dogs love those little brown pellets.* when i notice my dogs sniffing and then eat them, hunting for more in the same area, i tell them NO! LEAVE IT! and of course i have to go over to them and enforce my command, and they give me this look like, "but mom!* this is RABBIT POOP!"*

but soon as i'm no longer within reaching distance, they go back to hunting for more poop to eat.* they cannot seem to help themselves.* the pellets are very tempting.* if i give a really harsh correction when i catch them eating again, they might stop, but what has been more effective for me is to show them something even better than rabbit poop - a tennis ball or a promise of a walk.* they are willing to give up the rabbit poop treats for something else they enjoy.* we can play a game of fetch a few feet away from the rabbit poop, and my dogs are more likely to obey my LEAVE IT command, when given a good reason to obey.

remember, judy has learned that jumping the fence equals finding good things. those good things are awefully tempting for her.

"Properly trained, a man can be dog's best friend." ~ Corey Ford

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

"Personally, I would take her by the scruff of the neck back to spot where she jumped, make her sit and correct her verbally. Scruffing won't hurt her but it will make her stop and think."

Do NOT try this. It will NOT work in the way intended, it will only make it more difficult to get your Lab to come to you.

Thousands of studies on learning have shown that for any type of aversive or negative consequence to be effective it MUST be given
    immediately following the undesired behavior. It's effect is on the behavior just before the negative/aversive consequence is given.

Try heightening the fence, or making it impossible to get close enough to the fence to jump, or the elecfronic fence, or the e-collar.

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Do NOT try this. It will NOT work in the way intended, it will only make it more difficult to get your Lab to come to you.
    For goodness sakes. :

I don't agree with what a lot of people write on here but I don't preach about it. I said PERSONALLY; as in it is what I would do. If you don't like it, Bob, I couldn't care less! Believe it or not, in my country field dogs are often trained with that exact method and, for me, it works.

Thousands of studies on learning have shown that for any type of aversive or negative consequence to be effective it MUST be given
    immediately following the undesired behavior.
    The scruff DOES happen after the jump. Not everyone agrees with electric shocking a dog to get it to behave. If you don't have something constructive to say, don't say it.