watch me.

Thread: watch me.

Kathryn Guest

Defaultwatch me.

How have you taught your dog "watch me" It is driving me nuts.. We were told to hold her food, treat, whatever, as far away from us as we could get it and wait for them to LOOK at us and give a "good watch" ITS NOT WORKING... Any Ideas?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Buckyball is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: watch me.

This is what my trainer taught us...ask you pup to sit...then hold the tasty treat in your fist and let her sniff it. Then bring up the fist near your face...like your chin or cheek...as soon as your eye meets with the pup's eyes give her the treat and praise. Once she has this down you can start adding in your cue..."look at me"..."watch" whatever your word is...gradually you won't have to place your hand near your face. The cue will be enough...
    Hope I made sense...I am not the best when it comes to explaining...
    <3 01/01/2006-03/18/2017 <3

Kathryn Guest

Thanks. We will try that..

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

AbbyandMolly is offline Senior Member

We taught Molly watch basically the same way. We took the treat and would let her sniff it, then put it right between our eyes...as soon as she would make eye contact with we gave her the treat and praised the heck out of her...after a few tries of that we added our "good watch" in there. Now I say "Molly, watch" and she'll look at me

Hope you get it down soon
    *Stacey*
    ~Abby, Molly, and Penny (the honorary lab)

mommy2Layla is offline Member

We have been taking layla to puppy class for the past 4 weeks; they taught us the same way. It's always watch me with a treat on your forehead; you keep doing that and eventually your pup will do it with no treat!
    <br /><br /><br />

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

You can do it without treats, too, by using an excited voice and pointing to your nose. AND praise the dog for whenever he/she watches. If you have a dog who follows you into the bathroom and STARES at you while you're sitting there (or one who, when you're making a sandwich, sits and stares at you, drooling), use that as an oppty to PRAISE for a good watch! ;D

brianttu is offline Senior Member

For e-collar users:

Turn down to lowest setting. Have dog sit in front of you. Step back 5-8 paces and give the "watch" command. Until your dog looks you in the eye give a nick every half - 1 second. Do things like snap, high pitched voice, hand gestures to gain the dogs attention. Do not walk around during this exercise, strictly upper body movements to gain attention. Every time you get a positive response, give praise and a possible treat. After giving the watch command 3 times without success, walk up to your dog, do not bend over and pat on the head or raise head to gain their attention. Usually dogs are more responsive at further distances because they dont have to look straight up, they can look out more, which is the reason for the 5-8 paces out.

A level 1 (10 on Dogma colars) setting should be the same as something annoying to them like a bug they want to scratch, not a correction level. If your level one is higher than something they find annoying, do not pratice this technique.
    Thanks,<br /><br />Brian<br /><br /><br />CGC, TDI Certified

CoCosMom is offline Senior Member

In our class last night, we're clicker training, we did this:

Start out with a small yummy treat, put the dog in a sitting or standing position in front of you, let them sniff the treat and then slowly bring it up to your eye... when the dog makes eye contact, CLICK, and treat. After you've done this a few times and the dog get the hang of it, start doing it without the treat in your hand (have the treats in your pocket). Then when the dog makes eye contact CLICK, then take a treat out of your pocket and give it to them. THEN, when that's easy-peasy, add a word (WATCH). As you bring your hand up to your eye, say WATCH, and when the dog makes eye contact CLICK. Then give a treat from your pocket. Eventually you can take the treat away, the click is the reinforcement... Practice this in many environments, with distractions and eventually you can take the click away, once its a learned command anywhere.
    ~Jo & CoCo

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

Looking you in the eye is very distressing for a dog. It is considered a direct challenge in the dog world so we have to teach them that it is OK to look us in the eye and its exactly what we want.

Like many others have stated, I sit the dog in front and hold the treat near my eyes first. When he looks at me I say "Watch! Good watch" and give him the treat. Once he starts to get the idea, I start to increase the length of eye contact by praise, praise, praise, then give the treat (Watch. Watch, Good Watch).

When the dog is confidently looking at the treat most of the time and I've increased the length of eye contact required, I will show the dog the treat then hide it in my hand behind my back. At first the dog is going to look toward where the treat went but he will eventually look up at your face for a nanosecond as if to ask "how do I get the treat?". This is when you praise like crazy "Watch! Good watch" and give him the treat. Your timing has to be very good because at first the looks will be very quick and if you praise as he looks away you've reinforced the wrong thing. Gradually you can increase the time you want him to maintain eye contact.

Then I hold the treat straight out from my sides (both sides) and wait for him to look at me. Again praise and give him the treat.

In each situation, you gradually increase the length of eye contact and do not add the "watch" command until the dog looks at you. Once the dog is confident in each situation, you can start saying watch and demand immediate attention. Eventually you will move the dog to heel position and ask for attention. Spitting treats is another good way to teach the dog to focus on your face. If you do not want to spit the food, pretend to take it from your mouth using your left hand and slide the treat down the left side of your body into the dogs mouth. If you use your right hand, the dog will start attempting arc around you or to come front in order to get the treat.

Now when the dog is sitting in front of you, alternate hands to treat but remember to keep the food very close to your body.
    <br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE

imported_MilesMom is offline Senior Member

That's how we've been doing it too.
    <br /><br />Grand River Run Genaration &quot;Miles&quot;&nbsp; CGC RN, RL1, RL2, RA, CW-SR, C-OB1, RL1X, RL3, RE