Barfing in the car

Thread: Barfing in the car

ChocolateBurrito is offline Junior Member

DefaultBarfing in the car

???

Burrito is the best, sweetest girl in the world...but taking her anywhere is a PAIN. Starting when we rode home from the breeders' house, she throws up EVERY single time we get into the car (maybe a few minutes after we get there) and whimpers the whole ride. I just got her a lil to-go doggy carrier, thinking it would make a difference.....uh uh. Puke everywhere again.

I would really appreciate any suggestions- My other dog loved to go for rides, so I dont understand what the problem is.
    Crazy about doggies and giant lizards! Love em all!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Barfing in the car

Some dogs do get car sick believe it or not. Perhaps someone will know of some product you can use to help that is okay for a puppy.
    ~Lindsay

imported_bacatherine is offline Senior Member

I do not have any personal experience but here are a few articles I found.

http://www.cybercanine.com/motionsick.htm
    http://www.control-your-dog.com/overcome-car-sick.html

I've also been told if you leave the window cracked it helps but again I've not tried it myself.
    <br />Barbara, Mocha, Zeus, &amp; Smeagol

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

Ginger snaps before a ride have been known to ease a queasy stomach.

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Okay ... lots of personal experience here. Sami used to throw up everytime we went anywhere -- even if it was just a 3 mile car ride. When it was time to get in the car, she would majorly put on the breaks! She didn't even want to get in it! I tried Rescue Remedy and it seemed to help. My vet recommended that I try Bromine (like Dramamine). That definitely worked. But apparently, it's not always motion that makes them sick. It's just being nervous in the car. Several people (think Bob PR might have been one) suggested that I try just conditioning her to the car -- get in the car, but don't go anywhere. Make it a pleasant experience (i.e., treats ;D). Next just drive up and down the driveway. Give treats again and make the car a "happy place". Then try driving around the block. You get the picture, I'm sure -- you are just trying to gradually build up the time in the car!

What worked for us was using the Bromine UNTIL she figured out that we were going to go fun places -- the dog park, Petsmart, training classes, a new pond/park. Sami is now 11 months old and she doesn't need the Bromine anymore. Good thing ~ since in 2 weeks we'll be making a 16 hour drive across country! Oh, and I also tried the Ginger Snaps. She loved them and I think they helped too!

ChocolateBurrito is offline Junior Member

:
    The breeder told me that she would get sick the first couple of times in the car, but it is getting worse.

That's a good ideer (building her up little by little)....I really hope that one day she likes going places, cuz most times we take her somewhere, it is probably for fun or socializing.

If that doesnt work, I think I will have to go with the meds....when I used to work in a kennel, we had several dogs who were nervous as hell for whatever reason (storms, cages, etc) and that was really the only way to get them to chill out. Hopefully, the psychological principal of classical conditioning will kick in soon, and she wont associate the car with a crappy time and vomit.

At this point, I will try ANYTHING so that the first five minutes after I take her anywhere arent spend cleaning up throwup-

:P

Crazy about doggies and giant lizards! Love em all!

Djc1249 is offline Senior Member

The gradual build-up of time in the car was what we did. Our last dog always threw up at first, so our vet at the time (hub's uncle) said take her for short rides, every day, down the driveway...then down the road a bit...until she got used to the car. It eventually worked for us.
    <br />Did you say TREAT ?!?<br /><br />Tucker, 3 yrs. --- Tipper, 10 mos.<br />http://www.dogster.com/dogs/284460<br />http://www.dogster.com/dogs/715680