Crate training
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crate training

curly is offline Senior Member

DefaultCrate training

We have been working with Zakk's crate training.... how long did it take for your puppies to really "grab" the idea? He has been doing pretty good but seems to be regressing some :-\.* Zakk will be 9 weeks tomorrow (Thursday 6/1/06). I think I am going to close off a portion of his kennel to see if that will help with him "holding" it a bit longer. He does his business when we go out but there have been a few instances where he has had "accidents". Maybe I'm just over-reacting ???.

We walk him in the morning after breakfast (around 7AM), at lunch (My fiance goes to the house and lets him out), we are out most of the afternoon after 5:30 playing (and after supper), and then we take him out before bedtime.

Any suggestions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Crate training

awwww... what a little sweetie!!! That picture in your signature is ADORABLE.

At 9 weeks he's probably just begining to gain some control over his bladder and probably not much. I'd be constantly taking him out and definitely expect a few accidents. Ender's last accident was right around 12 weeks of age.

For the crate... he "should" be able to hold it around 3 hrs. (It's 1 hr for 1 month of age plus one) But keep in mind that if he's active, he's going to need to go a LOT more often than every three hours. I'd be taking him out every single time he got up from a nap, was playing, had just taken a sip of water, had just eaten... and anytime he started sniffing the ground and circling. You really gotta keep an eye on him and "learn" his signs for when he needs to go. Have you tried leashing him to you?
    ~Lindsay

If your puppy is peeing in the crate, there are two possible issues. 1) your making your pup hold it WAY too long or 2) your crate is WAY too big.

1) Ender answered this perfectly. 9 Weeks is 3 hours TOPS. 9 weeks is really every 1 - 1 1/2 hours. By taking your dog out more in the beginning will help with control. Its a hassell, but thats the ownership of a puppy instead of getting an older dog. If your over the top with crate training, your results will come VERY quickly, but if you mill around, your results could take months or years.

2) Your dog shouldn't have more space in the crate other than to turn around. They shouldnt be able to walk around or move from front to back. If they can turn around, thats the perfect amount of space for an untrained dog. Allie has an XXL crate now, she sprawls out and enjoys the good life and shes only 65 lbs. I want her to have room to move, shes proven herself and has never had an accident.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Buckyball is offline Senior Member

Definitely limit his space in the crate as suggested by the others.
    I used to take Buck out every 20-30 mins or so when he'd be out of his crate playing. If he drank water I'd give him 15 mins and off we went outside to pee. Sounds like it's very often but you'd be surprised...Buck peed everytime. I did this for 2 weeks straight. Then he started sort of telling me (around 10 weels) by trying to get to the door and then I'd see his pre potty dance and wisk him away outside and reward him for doing his business. They are smart puppies they learn fast and they certainly do not like to soil the place they sleep in.
    <3 01/01/2006-03/18/2017 <3

When we are home, he goes out after every meal, shortly after water, after any play while inside and the alarm clock is set to go off during the night for nighttime walks . He goes every time we go out so he knows what to do when we "go potty". Working during the day makes it difficult to take him out as often but we try to limit his water during the day while we are gone and during the night.

I am going to block off part of his kennel to see if that will help (crossing fingers). Thanks for the input and keep the suggestions coming!!

Ender.... thanks for the compliment on the picture, that was my favorite of his first day here (and one of the very few I caught when he was still and not "atacking" me tring to find out what the camera was ;D! He seems to be growing and changing everyday, don't think he will be a "puppy" for long.

Dave_and_Christie Guest

Hi,

We are currently crate training our 8 1/2 week old "Sadie'' aswell. We bought a furarri550 crate (xl) for our pup under the impression we were going to borrow a smaller one from a friend for as long as we needed it. But someone suggested to block off half or a 1/3 of our large crate with a big peice of cardboard taped in place. This worked well by only gave her enough room to lay out, and turn around in. It worked for about two days until she realized the masking tape, and also that the sheet of cardboard had flex, and begun knawing at both, until I began to worry (mostly about the tape), and removed it all.
    Then I realized that just a big empty cardboard or plastic box would work well. At my work, I found a cardboard box that fit perfectly. It covers up more than half the inside of the crate. I just folded the top and bottom flaps of the box inside themselves so they wouldn't be an attraction. Only down side with the cradboard is that she has been chewing and ripping up the corners and sides of the box. She doesn't seem to be swallowing the peices though..the last couple of days she has had a liittle scrap pile of cardboard going though. But, no accidents yet.

I'd swear that Zakk's been reading the forum ;D. After all this, he started something new last night. We went for our usual "before bedtime" potty.... well, he went out and immediately pee'd and we walked around for a few to see if we could get a poop. After a few minutes, I figured he was finished so I started going up the steps into the house... next thing I know he wimpered and turned an about face back into the yard, there's the poop we were waiting for .

He did the same thing this morning... started up te steps to go back in, wimpers and heads back into the yard to "take care of business". Maybe, just maybe this is a sign that all the hard work and sleepless nights are paying off (crossing fingers).

I am going home this afternoon and cutting a few pieces of wood to block off the kennel.

We used plastic book crates to keep Allie from chewing on them like boxes. Making your large crate smaller for the time being will greatly help your pups ability to start bladder control. Once you get the bladder control going for 4 weeks or so, you should be able to remove the obstructions, but if peeing returns, add them right back.

Night time peeing shouldnt happen more than once a night at this point. 9 weeks should be able to hold it for a decent amount of time if you take up the water at 6ish, bed time potty at 10ish. You may need a 1-2am wake up until 12-15 weeks and another at 5-6am if you dont get up for work. Shannon and I noticed a lot of Allie's wimpering at this stage was more to get out than to go potty. Count as your dog pees. This will help you judge if its a truely needed potty break of if your dog is playing you to get out of the crate for a few minutes. In both cases, praise like hell, BUT keep note of those times it wasnt an emergency and you should be able to better gauge your dogs patterns.

We have always limited water late at night and during the day (since he is inside the house and is not getting hot). Do you take away water totally or just put a small amount in the water dish?

I would remove the water completely at 6-7ish. We only allowed heavy water drinking during morning hours around breakfast, and all afternoon as long as it was before 6-7ish... You want your pup to have full control over the amount of water consumed when its out, because you dont want to dehydrate your pup. After 7, water is not needed unless you play hard with your puppy before bed. Usually after 7, we are slowing down and watching TV before bed time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast