The poopy dash???

Thread: The poopy dash???

DefaultThe poopy dash???

Lindy has done this really weird thing on two occasions since we got her almost two weeks ago. She has never had an accident in our family room and has been confined to our kitchen while she is housetraining. We have a baby gate up so she can't get out. Ok so the weird thing is on these two occasions the gate was down and she dashed into the fam room full tilt and started circling and I caught her right before she started to poop and wisked her outside where she went potty. What would make her not go over to the door like she always does if we're around and bolt across the downstairs to poop in a room she has never had an accident in????
    Anyone???

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: The poopy dash???

Here's just a guess... I'm by no means an expert on these things...

But I think it's possible that she may see that area as "outside" her domain... her cave/den if you will... therefore it's fair game to use as a toilet. I think this is why most people gradually allow their pup to more and more areas of the house slowly... eventually teaching them that the whole house is not a toilet and worth keeping clean.

Do you have a signal she gives you when she needs to go? Like barking or ringing bells? If so, I have no idea why she'd up and choose not to do that those two times.
    ~Lindsay

ThatsMyGirl Guest

In addition to what Ender's Mom said ....

Do you have carpet in your family room? If so, maybe the surface change is enough to make her think it's okay (i.e, carpet is sorta like grass when ya really gotta go!) ;D

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Same thing happened to us. Mischa would only go in a room that was off limits. So we started playing in these rooms and suddenly they became her domain and no more accidents. Ender's mom is right on. They see the areas as out of their den and relieve themselves there because they won't be playing or going in that room. You'll have to supervise closely, when you let her into rooms she has never been and lay down the rules of conduct in the new rooms, but it is worth it if you are going to trust them with the run of the house later on.

It makes perfect sense about the outside of her domain thing. And yes, we do use the bells on our door. What confused us was that instead of just walking a mere 10 ft to ring the bell, she bolted 30 into the fam room. Yes, it is carpeted. Thanks for your thoughts, I think they're right on the mark.