Just Labradors banner

Vaccinations

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  brianttu 
#1 ·
I realize that I should know this, but I keep forgetting. ::) At what age should a puppy complete her/his puppy vaccinations? And, until they are complete, I understand that taking the pup to public places like parks is out of the question, but how about to visit grandparents that don't have any dogs? :)

#2 ·
I think normally they get vaccinated at 8, 12, and 16 weeks.

Some people would recommend NO outside exposure til 16 weeks but we started taking Ender on walks around the neighborhood and to doggy day care after his second set at 12 weeks. I placed socialization above the risk I was taking by letting him meet other dogs and even just walking outside in our neighborhood. It worked for us and Ender is a GREAT playmate no matter what size/breed the other dog is. He knows how to submit and suck up to the "alpha" Akita in our neighborhood and he knows how to greet a new dog.. and he can tackle and wrestle with his normal playdates all very well.

Ender did have one episode of KC which he either got at the vet's or at doggy day care or somewhere else but after 24 hrs of hacking he was fine (though I made sure to quarantine him during the appropriate amount of time so as not to infect other dogs)

G
#3 ·
Puppy shots are completed at 16 weeks. We did 8,12,16 but I know a lot of people do 6,9,12,16. We were really cautious with Cody until after his second set at 12 weeks, but after that we started taking him out for walks on our street (we live on street with a big grassy area in the middle) and letting him meet other dogs as long as they looked healthy and were with responsible and friendly looking owners. It was definitely a risk but like Ender's Mom we think it was worth it as Cody (now 4 months) is incredibly well socialized with other dogs, kids, strangers, etc! We did not, however, take him to dog parks or pet stores or let him walk in the vet's office (we carried him) until all of his shots were complete.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.