Just Labradors banner

Age for consistent "coming"

2K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  Chester B. Dickens 
#1 ·
I was wondering at what age should I be demanding reliable "come" to my call? My YLM is just over 9 weeks now. At times, it seems he knows the command "come", but other times, he ignores me, and yet other times, he comes, but in his own sweet time. I'm not sure if he isn't completely understanding of the command yet at this age? At some point, he will have to understand there is a consequence for not following this command, but I don't want to start correcting too early if that is the case.

Thanks for any thoughts.

#2 ·
At nine weeks, he's lucky to know his name, for heaven's sake. If you're even getting him to come 25% of the time at this age, I'd do handsprings. He's a baby!

FWIW, age is less a determinant than the time a handler/trainer/owner puts in on the dog. If you're slapdash, inconsistent, and sloppy about it, you could have a 10 y.o. that still has a spotty recall.

#3 ·
In our house we have a few commands for "come" ::)

I've found Eric and I use the word come far too often and not when we really "mean" it or in a position to enforce it. I decided to use a new word "here" and so far ONLY use it when he's already barreling towards me with a toy when doing retrieves. I make sure I touch his collar but I make sure it is ALLWAYS a positive experience and he gets to continue playing immediately after.

Of course dweck is absolutely on the money with the 9 weeks old thing... really you can't expect 100% of anything at 9 weeks. Just staying consistent is KEY... patience... and remember some commands are much easier to teach than others. Sit is completely different from down... walk nicely or no pull completely different from "heal".

This site gives you a good example of what you can probably expect for your puppy from 8 weeks and beyond. http://www.petplace.com/puppy-center/default.aspx

G
#5 ·
I will share what has worked for me, although others are sure to disagree. I taught Sami to come using a 30' line and reinforcing it by giving her a treat each time. Now each and every time Sami comes to me, I reward her -- whether we are in the house, the yard, the woods or the dog park. I think it's so important that, when she's off-leash, I reward her when she returns to me even if I haven't called her. She is 11 months old and runs off-leash in the woods at least 4x a week. She has never gone further than probably 50' from me. And she returns every time she's called. All I can really say is ... it's worked for me!

G
#7 ·
Ender's Mom said:
That'sMyGirl... when you say "reward"... do you mean treat or just praise and sometimes a treat?
Sorry, should have been more specific ... I treat. It's basically all I consistently treat for these days ... other treats are few and far between -- just done to keep her on her toes ;) That said, it means I have to have treats everywhere -- so I usually have a few in my pocket, and scattered throughout the house in baggies.

#9 ·
Can I ask a related question -- not to start trouble or carp with your methods, but for my own curiosity.

You're out with Sami and have treated her 3x for coming to you. Life is good. Ahead in the woods, you spot a skunk that you'd rather not have her get involved with. You put your hand in your pocket and find... you had enough treats for three recalls but now find that you desperately need a fourth (or you had enough for four but not five; or five but not six.. you get the idea :) ) What do you do?

G
#10 ·
dweck said:
Can I ask a related question -- not to start trouble or carp with your methods, but for my own curiosity.

You're out with Sami and have treated her 3x for coming to you. Life is good. Ahead in the woods, you spot a skunk that you'd rather not have her get involved with. You put your hand in your pocket and find... you had enough treats for three recalls but now find that you desperately need a fourth (or you had enough for four but not five; or five but not six.. you get the idea  :) ) What do you do?
I'd lie ;D and when she came to me, I'd leash her. Not the best answer, but it's what I would do. It hasn't happened because honestly, I'm better prepared than your scenerio!

#11 ·
Not to answer for That'sMyGirl but if it were me... I would "pretend" I had a treat and once Ender got to me I'd give him a TON of verbal praise for doing as told. (Then about 30 minutes later he'd probably get a marrow bone or frozen kong or something and have no idea why ;) )

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.