Chomping on wood?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chomping on wood?

ChocolateBurrito is offline Junior Member

DefaultChomping on wood?

???

When my girl goes outside, she immediately runs and finds a stick and begins devouring it immediately. I know that labs are notorious chewers and they like to carry sticks around in their mouths, but it seems like she skips that part and tries to eat it. Since I am always watching her like a hawk, I grab it out of her mouth before she can swallow it, but I was wondering how bad for the stomach wood can be.

Any help appreciated!!

Otherwise, Burrito has been awesome- Right now, at 8 weeks, she is better trained than my 6 month old Boxer was. Haha, except for her new nickname "Burrito McGator"- earned from her chomping on anything/everything in sight. From what I read from everyone else, though, that (hopefully) will go away after she is done teething.

Crazy about doggies and giant lizards! Love em all!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Chomping on wood?

Ender used to do this and will still do it when given a chance. Of course an hour later he'll throw up a wad of solid brown guck complete with sticks so I'm very vigilant about making sure he doesn't do it any more. I think "DROP IT" was one of the first commands he learned.

My mom on the other hand, lets her lab chew sticks all day long even though she doesn't like that they end up going through his system. Personally this scares me 'cause of blockages and just the wear and tear on the throat and digestive system.
    ~Lindsay

brianttu is offline Senior Member

Allie likes logs more than stickes. I cant keep a wood pill going because she spreads it out all over the back yard. She doesnt eat them, but she does chew on them and throw them up in the air...
    Thanks,<br /><br />Brian<br /><br /><br />CGC, TDI Certified

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_Belles mom is offline Senior Member

Kodi and Hoss used to be awful about chewing sticks and logs! While they never threw the stuff up, I sure thought it must not feel good coming out the other end. They had more stick coming out than poop!

Happily, they seem to have gotten over that part of their puppyhodd!
    Karen and<br />UAG1 SHR UCDX GRCH Tracker Belle of Bedford RAE JH CDX TT WCX WC CGC (Belle)<br /><br />UCD SHR GRCH BIMBS BBI Belle&#39;s Kodiak Dreamweaver JH UD RAE TT WC CGC (Kodi)<br /><br />SHR UCH BBI Ponderosa&#39;s Big Blond Guy JH RE TT WC CGC (Hoss)

biscuit is offline Senior Member

Yep, Biscuit did that too, and he still likes an occassional log or piece of bark to chew on. Usually, he just spits it out as he's chewing, but occassionally, it comes back up at 3am- :
    I definitely had to monitor him very closely when he was a pup, and I still do to an extent, but he's pretty good about his "leave it" and Drop it" commands.
    <br />Kristin &amp; Biscuit

imported_MilesMom is offline Senior Member

Miles loves tree bark, wood and rocks. I have to watch him like a hawk!! Now, he's getting hip to that and tries his best to keep is prized contraband a secret from me. Last weekend, in the middle of the night, he threw up a rock . I was horrified! Grateful he didn't choke and very glad he sleeps in our room or he'd have swallowed that rock again!

I don't know how to train it. Outside I'd just say leave it, leave it, leave it, leave it, leave it until he just wouldn't hear me anymore.....
    <br /><br />Grand River Run Genaration &quot;Miles&quot;&nbsp; CGC RN, RL1, RL2, RA, CW-SR, C-OB1, RL1X, RL3, RE

Dave_and_Christie Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Belles mom
    Kodi and Hoss used to be awful about chewing sticks and logs! While they never threw the stuff up, I sure thought it must not feel good coming out the other end. They had more stick coming out than poop!
    * ;D That* is a funny description.

* Luckily Sadie hasn't really discovered wood yet. She is still hooked on grass and her personal favorite, dandelions! I mow the grass, but there will always be some dandelion stock growing in the backyard. I have to constantly try to get her to "leave it"...and then inevitably, "drop it".* :

JacobAlthea&Tatum is offline Senior Member

My understanding is that sticks can be pretty dangerious for dogs. In addition to potential blockages, bits of stick can get stuck in their mouths and get infected.

When she gets a stick, tell her to drop it and wave a small treat in her face. When she drops it, praise her "good drop!" (or something like that) and give the treat. Then hand her something yummy to chew on, like a kong and praise her for chewing it.

This is just IMHO, of course, and there are lots of people on the board with more training expereince than I have.
    I'm Jenn. Keeper of two labs in my home and one forever in my heart.

Throw the ball, damn it!

christydt is offline Junior Member

I have an 8 month old yellow lab. I had a plum tree in the back yard that stood about 4 ft. tall.. i have been babying that tree for a year to get it that tall.. Well i get home today and she chewed the tree in two pieces. So I guess she like to chew on wood also.

Zakks_Mommy is offline Member

Zakk is the same way... I baby my plants and he does loveee to chew on them! I have pots of ivy sitting around on the patio and he loves to chew the ivy branches off!! They will be bare before long.

Last night our picnic table broke... well when it did it was on Zakk's level.. and what did he do? Went right over and chewed the heck out of the legs on it!!!

If he can get ahold of a stick.. watch out.. he goes runnin!!
    Zakk&#039;s Mommy<br />Allyson<br />

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast