Jo (Cocos'mom)-or anyone else... clicker training?

Thread: Jo (Cocos'mom)-or anyone else... clicker training?

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultJo (Cocos'mom)-or anyone else... clicker training?

I was wondering how the clicker training was going? I must admit I bought a book and a clicker and have "charged" it a couple times with Ender over the weekend. From what I've read so far, seems like a good way to teach them how to repeat a behavior they do naturally by clicking at the moment they do it. I was thinking "SCORE!!! Maybe I can teach Ender to tilt on command using this!!!"

I don't want to confuse him though by using it to teach the stuff he allready knows... or maybe it wouldn't be confusing... it would just reinforce it.

Anyways I just wanted to know your experience and if anyone has any helpful tricks. I don't want to pay for a clicker specific class 'cause Ender is allready enrolled in the next level (adult basic obedience)... this is just something I want to try at home.
    ~Lindsay

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Buckyball is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Jo (Cocos'mom)-or anyone else... clicker training?

This is going to be of no help but I have to say I have tried to do clicker training and turns out I am just simply not coordinated enough hahah
    Holding the clicker, clicking it on time, giving the treat on time AND holding the leash of a sometimes squirmy lab...yah I just can't handle it :-[
    <3 01/01/2006-03/18/2017 <3

Lol.... so far I haven't done anything where I have to hold the leash as well. Perhaps we will use the clicker for in house "fun" tricks... I can't IMAGINE adding another contraption to our walks!... it's quite enough for me to remember the poop bags, waterproof collar if we are going swimming, toy for retrieves, treats, water bottle if it's hot etc. etc.
    ~Lindsay

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

CoCosMom is offline Senior Member

Honestly, we haven't gone very far with it yet....

Step A, we are currently "conditioning" her (thing Pavlov's dog) by doing the Click N' Treat. Basically, I just click and immediately treat CoCo... and I do it a lot and I do it everywhere... Basically its to keep her attention on me and to condition her that clicking = good thing.

Step B, as I understand it, is to use your hand (with treat) to guide her into a sit, and then CLICK as soon as her but hits the floor and then immediately treat... don't say SIT, because this isn't a command.

Step C would be to use your hand (with treat) to direct her around you... in front, beside, then to a sit... click n' treat. So you are making her do more things before you click n' treat.

From what I can tell, all we're accomplishing here is keeping her attention on me (my hand) and conditioning her to the click = good. As she begins to pay attention to hand movements and keep her attention on me, then we reduce the occurence of the reinforcement. And after a few weeks we'll remove the treats and just use the clicker to reinforce positive behavior.

Haven't gone far enough to say what's next for training specific commands though!
    ~Jo & CoCo

Hmmm... the book I was reading made it sound like you just wait for the dog to do something you like... then you click-treat... click-treat each time they do it.... then eventually you work in a command. Or maybe it was just used to reinforce good behavior. HMMMMM... *finger tapping chin*
    ~Lindsay

CoCosMom is offline Senior Member

I think its a similar idea, but the extra conditioning we're doing likely helps in a class setting. It was our homework last week, before the dogs came for their first class this week.
    ~Jo & CoCo

AbbyandMolly is offline Senior Member

I love my clicker! It makes it a lot easier to "shape" a beahavior and it makes things interesting for me (lol). The clicker serves as a "marker" to let the dog know what they did was good ie: "ender, sit" *click* "good sit", so once the clicker is charged they know it means good things are to come.

The first thing I learned with a clicker was "watch me" that way the dogs attention is on you. What we did was put a piece of treat between our noses at the moment molly's eyes met mine it was 1.click 2.treat/good watch that way she learned that looking at my eyes meant "watch" now I just say "molly ,watch" and her eyes immediatly meet mine. Since the clicker also serves as something good, she doesn't always get treats anymore (just for new things or when I'm feeling nice lol)

So far we've done sit, down, come, stay, wait, paw, other paw, roll over, no bark, off, leave it and with me...all using the clicker. Most of these commands she knows so as soon as she does it I click and praise, unless it's a new behavior which she gets treats for repeatedly until she's almost got it.

If you have any questions you can pm me or e-mail me I have the paper from our first day at class that I could try and scan to send it to you via e-mail.
    *Stacey*
    ~Abby, Molly, and Penny (the honorary lab)